Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've got a 3.0 Vel Satis and it's service time again.

The mileage is very low for a 53-plate car, at only 59,000.

The first year I owned the car, the garage who did the servicing did what their paperwork calls a "50,000" mile service to specification", when the car had about 47,000 miles on the clock and was 6 years old.

The following year, the main dealer I took it to did (according to the paperwork) a "60,000 mile service to specification" when the car was 7 years old and had done about 54,000 miles.

This year, the car is obviously technically 8 years old, but has only done 59,000 miles. Yes, only 5,000 miles in the last year, since the last full service.

I've rung around for quotes and two main dealers say it needs the 8 year service because it's 8 years old even though it's done way less than 96,000 miles (service interval: 8 years/96,000 miles). But the main dealer who did the servicing last year says quite confidently that I only need an interim, mini service, and quoted me half the price that the other 2 dealers quoted. There are no independents in my area.

I'm confused by the fact 2 dealers say it's 8 years old so go for the 8 year service, but the dealer I took it to last year says just have a mini service as I've only done 5,000 miles in a year, even though it is 8 years old.

And then they have all given me the option of genuine Renault parts, or Motrio parts. So I'm thoroughly confused now!

I have an aftermarket warranty on my car so I need to ensure I get it serviced properly according to Renault standards, but what's confusing me is differnt dealers suggest different standards.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

vehicle servicing is generally done on mileage or time whichever comes first. So if lets pretend you had a car that was due its 2 year or 24,000 mile service, the service would have to be done at 24,000 miles or 2 years whichever came first and the necessary components replaced and checks made. As a rough guide most vehicle's require a service once a year or every 12,000 miles. First service is usually a minor service, then next is an interim service and after that is a more major service, but this is only a guide as it is variable amongst manufacturers. The engine in your vel satis is the same Isuzu unit the Saab use in their 9.5 and vauxhall use in their Signam so you could ask a saab or Vauxall dealer the recommended service intervals and service requirements.

Harry.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Have a word with an decent independant garage.

Most are able to carry out servicing and repairs to manufacturers standards, I believe thay have to be VAT registered.

Also depending on the terms of your warranty, especially the small print, they may be able to give your the service required for a better cost.

Also because of your low mileage they may just carry out the work that is required rather than following a set service schedule dependant on age or mileage.

I've done this for years with various cars and saved a fortune, admittedly I've never needed to have any warranty work done.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Harry & Emily's dad.

I take your advice on board.

It's a shame I can't find a good garage near me in the north west (independent or dealer).

If I take the "age or mileage, whichever comes first" approach then yes, 2 of the 3 dealers were right.

So I can't understand why the 3rd dealer I've asked, which is the one who did the (5 years full service when the car was 7 years old) service last year, says I just need a basic mini service? Maybe it's in line with what Emily's Dad says i.e. my very low mileage means hardly anything needs servicing. But then surely that's contravening the manufacturer's stated 8 years interval?

FYI the difference between the basic mini service and the 8 years full service is that the 8 years one includes a new Air Filter, the wheels off and checked, the air con checked (not fixed, just looked at) and a better quality oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts