Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grand Scenic '06'.
Just entering or leaving full lock, left and right, only while stationary or almost stationary, there is a loud crack.

Happening for about 3 months. Otherwise, no noise or symptoms at all.

Local mechanic can see no obvious problem visually up on ramps, saying perhaps the problem is 'inside' the steering rack and suggesting I investigate on the web in case there is a common problem or recall.

I have seen similar discussion but no clear consclusion and wondered whether my mechanics comment or more recent discoveries may lead any one to make any suggestions.

We have had consistently and particularly unpleasnt and unhelpful service from 'our' 'local' main dealer but cannot really travel to one further afield, so keen to get some expert, but third party advice.

D

·
0 Posts
Trouble with checking it on the ramps is nothing is under load as it is on the ground.
My best guesses are anti rollbar drop links, anti rollbar mounts, track rod ends, track rods, rack mounts or subframe mounts.
Also worth checking the UJ at the bottom of the steering column

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I assumed the ramps thing. My knowledge is v limited, but my understanding from the things he said were that all those surrounding bits, track (tie?) rod, track rod end and so on all seemed to be Ok. You think he may have missed defect in one of those if he only checked on ramp? If it is the rack, can parts of a rack be replaced or is it always the whole thing?

O

·
0 Posts
Subframe bolts are known to give trouble, just need retorquing. It's called subframe crack.:d
There is a thread on here somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts