Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a bit of a dilemma here...

Car was getting a service+MOT at main dealer yesterday. Today i decided to look at the pad wear for myself so removed both front wheels and had a look. All cool. I refitted both wheels and whilst appling very small force to one of the bolts to tighten it ( I was sitting down) The bolt just sheard right off. I can only think that the wheels have been overtightned on refitting yesterday at the main dealer.

Anyway, how do you suppose i remove the remains of the bolt. I am going to buy http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_216735_langId_-1_categoryId_165572 and give that a try.

Opinions please i need the car for monday running again and i only have 3 bolts holding the wheel on.

It's a 2007 clio 1.4 with alloys.

Any help GREATLY appreciated! :)

Adam

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I've done this before myself (on a customer's car)...

It is very difficult to use a screw extractor as wheel bolts are torqued to much higher levels.

If memory serves me correctly (it was over 3 years ago), I got a spare (steel) bolt and wound it into the hole (with the wheel off) and kept winding it in, until the remainder of the broken bolt just fell out the other side of the hub. (car must be in gear for this to work).

It is very laborious, and you have to use firm, steady force to avoid stripping the threads.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: adamh108

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your reply

i have a renault box with 4 spare bolts in it, so you say just put one in the hole and tighten it with the wheel off?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
If it's been gunned in a few times it may have been weakened.
You may be able to tap it round with a thin punch. If it moves easily then threads are ok and it's probably just been overtightened against the wheel. Try drilling a hole in it then hammer in screwdriver/torq bit or whatever you have and wind it out.
If it hasn't snapped flush with hub the you might be able to get grips on it if you remove the disc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
why wouldn't the screw extractor work ??? In fact as an ex-engineer i would say that was the best option. As the head has sheared off the remainderof the bolt is not going to be under any torque. Screwing another bolt on top of it would just act like a locking bolt.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I honestly doubt if a screw extractor would be able to drill into a hardened material without an exploratory hole being drilled first. (which is quite difficult)

My suggestion wouldn't require any expenditure, nor any 'real' prep work, and as long as the threads haven't crossed should help to wind it out.

I wonder how he's fared?

Paul

R

·
0 Posts
Have you got a photo of the remaining bolt in the wheel hub?

With the head sheared of the rest of the bolt shouldn't be that tight?

Is there any of the wheel bolt sticking above the wheel hub face? that you can get mole grips or stilson on it to wind it back out? or if theres enough sticking out of the back to grip on to wind through?

You can drill wheel bolts I have done it in the past . So using an extractor as you mention is an option.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
i broke 1 not that long ago in my vectra i took the disc off and screwd the the rest of the stud out the back with a pair of long nose pliers i dont know if you can do this on a meg but it may be worth a shot:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts