Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a Laguna 2l R reg. I bought the car about 6 months ago and was very pleased, but then I noticed rumbling on braking, particularly downhill stops. On test driving it there were no problems as well as the first 3 months of driving it.After removing the wheel trim I discovered that there were only three wheel nuts, the fourth has sheared at some stage prior to my ownership and is stuck in the hub disc. (flush, nothing to grip). Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the female thread.
I am also worried about the rumbling when braking as it is very noticeable, otherwise the car drives beautifully. without any problems. I have changed the front brake pads, but haven't noticed any improvement. The other three nuts are tight and I can't feel that the wheel is loose in any way, and am not convinced that the lack of one nut is causing the problem, but I'm probably wrong aren't I?
Can you please advise, pleeze. Thanks...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Bibster,
- It would be probably be worth taking it along to your local tyre fitters - I am sure this must happen alot -

Alternatively - I have had this problem on classic cars over the years. I managed to remove the remains of broken studs using 'easi-outs' - this is like a reverse thread screw which you turn into a hole drilled in the centre of the broken stud then reverse screw it to turn out the stud. You can purchase these at good assessory outlets.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to 53 scenic

Many thanks, that sounds like a good idea using a reverse screw thingy, didn't think of that!
I shall have a look, cheers for the fast reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i agree with 53 scenic on the easyouts. Suggest you give the broken stud a good wack first , using a 10 mm flat punch and heavy hammer. The shock helps to losen the threads, and you can usually get the stud moving. I would also change all the studs on that wheel, they will be weaker now. Watch your fingers !!! Good luck. Ps Your brain has evolved over millions of years, that stud has been there for a few months...... it's got no chance. Positive mental attitude... ho ho

1 - 4 of 4 Posts