Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the dreaded clicking noise from the bottom end of the engine has appeared so I guess one or more of the crankshaft shell bearings is about to create havoc, does anyone know if it is possible for these to be changed without removing the engine (2.0L F4R). I would guess that the engine is probably the same as 1.8 probably overbored somewhat as all features in the engine bay seem the same.
Thanks in advance
Regards Sad Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Where my big end gone!

Hi Leroy - if you are sure it's the big end shell bearings that have gone - there is probably damage and undue wear to the crankshaft. Fitting new shell bearings wouldn't last very long as the damaged crank would just wear them out all over again. The only sure fix is to have the crankshaft reground and over-sized bearings fitted - unfortunately this requires engine removal. In my experience although one engine seems similar to the other they usually uprate the diameter or width of the bearing to take the extra loads. The cost a regrind, etc is not cheap and your most likely cost effective solution is a second hand engine.:)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply Madnoel, a great shame really as the car is doing 40.5 mpg at the moment and still goes like sh*t of a shovel, when I first start the car first thing in the morning to go to work there is no noise apart from the normal sounds of belts turning etc. However after a few miles the clicking sound starts but the oil level remains pretty constant and there is no smokey type stuff when I accelerate. Having the MOT last week in April so I'll have a word with the Guys at the service station,
Many thanks
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd get it checked Leroy.:)

It is very difficult to diagnose where an internal noise is coming from on an engine,although if the bearings in the bottom end were going I would expect a more harsh knocking noise rather than a clicking noise.

Just out of interest,what oil have you been using?

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been using Total 5/40 fully synthetic for the last two oil changes, Laggy, I change the oil and filter every year, before that I was using GTX 10/40 but the car seemed to run a lot better with synthetic and the mpg was better too. Just been to book her in for MOT and the guy at the service station said he'll have a check then.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Shell bearings

The first symptoms of big-end or main bearings becoming worn is the sound of hard knocking low down when the engine is started from cold when the engine has not been used for a couple of days and will disappear immediately the engine gains oil pressure. Is the oil light slow to go out as this can also be a sign of wear,etc. If this is not the case I would be looking in the timing or drive belt area in case it's a failing pulley,etc. Over the years I have found an engine always seems to be at it's peak performance when it starts to get a bit of wear and tear. One other way of telling if it's bearings is to use a much heavier lube oil which will quiet things down a bit - that's a old trick used in the motor trade - although in the long-term it's not good for the engine.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts