Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just taken my original plastic wheel covers off to paint the wheels black primarily to stop the advancement of rust after I lost the spare wheel rim to it, I have come to the conclusion I rather like black painted steel wheels and aim to not refit the standard plastic covers as I had a thought

Now it is I will be replacing the rear wheel bearings soon where I notice the rear wheel bearings come with a nice new shiny axle dust cover of which gave me an idea, aside from fitting shiny chrome covers over the rather grubby wheel nuts ( yeah, they're really screws) I thought it would be a nice idea to replace that axle dust cap with another shiny chrome cover to complement the wheel nut covers

And so to the front axle where as standard I believe there is no cover over the disc hub axle protrusion, why I don't know as it does not make a great deal of sense to myself given the rear hubs have them for what is sealed bearings, same as the front, but to complete my idea perhaps I can purchase after market axle dust covers to put a bit of chrome in the centre of the front hubs as well.

If such things are available and will fit a Clio hub where yeah like the rear hub I understand it will be a non structural press fit or tap in affair, where once fitted I don't believe they will be coming off that often but should be lever - able out like the standard rear axle dust caps to consider the fitment of such caps a semi permanent affair and a way to smarten up the front wheels.

So, does anyone know if such caps are available to fit the Clio hubs, be them shiny or painted as they can be repainted, where yeah I know there are some enticing steel wheel detailing options available in the US but I am finding nothing here in the UK ?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sussed it:

Trailer parts for what appears to be available is just what I am looking for in terms of shiny metal hub dust covers of which are press fit, designed I believe to protect non sealed adjustable hub bearings, my boat trailer has the same in plastic, they will do the job of smartening up the hubs and protecting that front axle stub and nut and they are relatively cheap too.

Gold coloured zinc plated is what I have found so far, next job is to find them in chrome plated or even stainless steel.

Reactions: stuart j
1 - 2 of 2 Posts