Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know the ABS light has been ongoing. Not sure if filling the connector hole with sealant will do the job until it's rainy season again. She says put it in early for MOT so should pass. It's well overdue a cambelt and it will need a couple of tyres for MOT. EGR valve is probably getting clogged up due to short journeys. CV joint clicking away. That lot will probably cost about £500. Is it worth putting that to a newer PETROL car with low tax? Part of me thinks it's a waste, but then again cheaper than buying a replacement.
What do you lot think?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,025 Posts
whats it worth,
thats what you have to work out..
can you weigh it in against another
Pros are It owes you nothing, you know the car, whats been already repaired on it.
Cons, might need ABS sorting at one stage, Cam belt neither here nor there,( sometimes it costs more than the car is worth to change )
CV pennies in real terms, EGR again, just might need a clean, but as you have already done it before, you know how much of a task it is

Low cost TAX does NOT mean a low cost running CAR, lots and lots of lemons out there
Does your wife travel enough miles to warrant another/newer car,
Will it be a cost effective purchase, or just a dust collector ..

( BUY her a new car you tight wad and have done with ; )

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shes the tight sod, I'd like to buy her a car but she's having none of it. Car only does about 5k a year! Had it 12 years.

·
41,025 Posts
Never ask about selling a car on a Car Forum.
We will always talk you out of it .
Thats a lot of miles though, 5,000 a year, 4 years running for me that is LOL
BUY the new Kitchen, better investment HA HA HA HA

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,360 Posts
Saw a 12 plate hyundai ix20 petrol on auto trader this morning with 58k on the clock..just checked again..not there and not surprised at £1750.. 😲

·
41,025 Posts
Giving cars away.
Astra 11 plate diesel 1700, only fetched £400 less than 50,000 on the clock ..
No ones buying, can see a lot of the traders going to the wall

Reactions: Phil48

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,587 Posts
get rid go out and get a 4 door aygo/108/c1 £0-£20 road tax 60 miles to the gallon they keep there money on low mileage as well i was so surprised how good the little 1lt engine is now i think some are 1.2 . the road tax money me and the mrs has saved over the last 2-3 years justified the change

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get rid go out and get a 4 door aygo/108/c1 £0-£20 road tax 60 miles to the gallon they keep there money on low mileage as well i was so surprised how good the little 1lt engine is now i think some are 1.2 . the road tax money me and the mrs has saved over the last 2-3 years justified the change
no chance of that, she doesn't like them!

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having a wife probably has more benefits than a getz, certainly cist more to get rid of too.

·
41,025 Posts
Not the 500, very very expensive.to keep running..
I had to replace brake pipes on a 14 plate, .
Handles are crap, had to do a couple of clutches on this model.
Not nice..
Rear shockers , discs seam to fail..
Both of these cars have less than 50,000 on the clock..
Cannot put it down to driver error, just the engine is to small for the car..

Hyundai , well these are still as bad , still have issues of not being able to undo anything ( rust over the bolt threads )

Always end up using bottles to heat bolts up..

Cannot say a lot on the Picanto.
Customer had one, never got serviced only worked on it to keep it running, as cheap as possible repairs,, if only one spark plug went, just change the one mentality , and it seemed to work for him , But it lasted him over 150,000 miles ( it used oil , but he just came and used the oil that I have ( Have a gallon container in the drive for customers to top up their cars, as long as they dont take the container , am happy for them to do this )
One cam belt change , but if it ran, bonnet stayed shut..

·
Sexy at 71 super mod..
25,360 Posts
Not the 500, very very expensive.to keep running..
I had to replace brake pipes on a 14 plate, .
Handles are crap, had to do a couple of clutches on this model.
Not nice..
Rear shockers , discs seam to fail..
Both of these cars have less than 50,000 on the clock..
Cannot put it down to driver error, just the engine is to small for the car..

Hyundai , well these are still as bad , still have issues of not being able to undo anything ( rust over the bolt threads )

Always end up using bottles to heat bolts up..

Cannot say a lot on the Picanto.
Customer had one, never got serviced only worked on it to keep it running, as cheap as possible repairs,, if only one spark plug went, just change the one mentality , and it seemed to work for him , But it lasted him over 150,000 miles ( it used oil , but he just came and used the oil that I have ( Have a gallon container in the drive for customers to top up their cars, as long as they dont take the container , am happy for them to do this )
One cam belt change , but if it ran, bonnet stayed shut..
Agree..fiat 500 just a fashion statement to many..old engines from fiat F.I.R.E that had non interference engines..but upgraded to 69hp like that latest panda..but now they are interference engines and need a cam holding tool when doing a belt job where the earlier engines didn't..hyundai i10 have a history of clutch and gearbox failures..when buying a car check out honest John..excellent site that will report all problems whatever the car..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,201 Posts
Can't speak for the I10
Would not touch a 500...far too many horror stories and IMO prices reflect fashion status not worth.
Picanto…. Common DIL has one... 12 plate now got around 50K on it.
Had it coming up three years and put on about 18K.
Had to replace battery not long after she had it.
Changed fluids and regularly check them.
Wiper blades and two new tyres.
Two sidelamp bulbs and she wanted brighter headlamps so stuck in Philips Xtreme 130%
Got to replace the driver door locking solenoid.
But no niggle faults, passed two MOTs with no issues
I find it comfortable to drive if very sharp on brakes and steering.
Common loves it..... zero road tax and hardly visits the petrol pumps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts