Independent Renault Forums banner

Should hanging be bought back?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should hanging be bought back for serious crimes like murder, rape etc.

As long as its ' without a doubt'.

mine is a 'yes':)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I voted yes as it serves a double purpose...

It gets rid of them that did commit murder.
It serves as a deterrent for them that might.

For a judge to say that murders have a hard time in prison i think is stupid....tie a ball and chain around thier ankles and make them fix our roads...Then hang them.

Rant over.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Yes, but only on the basis that the conviction is "beyond doubt" as opposed to the "beyond reasonable doubt" that's used as a yardstick elsewhere. If a guy goes postal with a semi-automatic in a shopping mall, several of the surivivors can positively identify him, and he's caught by the police as he tries to leave, then he's guilty. String him up! Don't waste taxpayers' money on keeping him in a maximum secuity B&B for the rest of his life.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
My priority would be to hang child murderers and rapists , but only if it can be proven without a doubt eg dna sampling .

for the other crimes of child molesting and raping a woman ...
CASTRATE THE B*****ds and leave them to rot in hell !!:devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
yes yes yes

I think yes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I voted 'depends'. Meaning, as Horatio stated, it depends on whether or not the crime is prooven beyond reasonable doubt. If this is the case then yes, it should be brought back - but that aint ever gonna happen is it!

Also, I gotta agree with chakota, castration for those crimes is a fitting punishment, as long as it is those families that the crime were commited against that do the castration, and we aint talking about performing a safe, clean surgical proceedure here!!

O

·
0 Posts
I'd go along with the beyong doubt as per Horation but the odd mistake would be worth it in my book.

I'd extend it to include anybody who comits a crime whilst armed too though. In fact I'd extend it to include a number of other crimes actually - I won't list them thogh, you might think I'm a bit radical in my views on law and order :eek:

Actually, I wouldn't mess about with hanging either, it would just result in long delays and the silly system you have in the states where somebody ends up on death row for years.

My vote would be for humane lethal injection carried out in the dock as soon as the verdict is given.

"Take him down" would mean just that in my government!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yes,yes,yes!

As said before,if it is beyond doubt,then they should be killed.

I don't think it would act as much of a deterant,but it would rid society of this pond life and stop them ruining anyone elses life.I'm sick of people killing and raping after they have been released after serving sentences for the same crime previously.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I'd go along with the beyong doubt as per Horation but the odd mistake would be worth it in my book.
That's where we're never going to agree. Those odd mistakes are perfectly innocent human beings who may have just had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They could be you or me. The system is already unfair as it stands, with these people often losing years of their freedom inside prison. But at least there's always hope that the truth will come to light.

I'd only be happy to pass the death sentence if all of the following criteria could be met:
1) Multiple independent witnesses
2) DNA (tested at multiple independent laboratories) or fingerprint evidence, positively linking the individual to the murder weapon or the victims in a manner that can't be explained by other activities.
3) Failure of a lie detector test when questioned over the crime.

My vote would be for humane lethal injection carried out in the dock as soon as the verdict is given.

"Take him down" would mean just that in my government!
I dunno. Firing squad would be more literal, and probably more interesting to watch :p

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Yep! Provided it was without any doubt.

The problem is a good lawyer on a bigger fatter fee than Renault charge, would probably kick sh!tte out of this.

Although I missed it myself, although not by much, I'd bring back National Service too.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I've voted (depends), as I believe the burden of proof for a conviction carrying this type of sentence would have to be far greater than the beyond reasonable doubt as it now stands.

However, I also believe that all prisoners should have to work for their keep, carrying out road maintenance (for example), which would mean that the taxpayers (who are after all, paying for their existence), would get some 'quo' for their 'quid'.

Seems a bit ridiculous that we pay money to keep them 'securely' locked up, sitting around learning more criminal techniques and getting drugs - crime does not pay?

Paul

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've voted (depends), as I believe the burden of proof for a conviction carrying this type of sentence would have to be far greater than the beyond reasonable doubt as it now stands.

However, I also believe that all prisoners should have to work for their keep, carrying out road maintenance (for example), which would mean that the taxpayers (who are after all, paying for their existence), would get some 'quo' for their 'quid'.

Seems a bit ridiculous that we pay money to keep them 'securely' locked up, sitting around learning more criminal techniques and getting drugs - crime does not pay?

Paul

exactly right. They should work on the roads at night under strict supervision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep! Provided it was without any doubt.

Although I missed it myself, although not by much, I'd bring back National Service too.

as a member of the armed forces i can safely say, we don't want a bunch of ¤¤¤¤ holes ruining a highly motivated, disciplined profession. Can we not leave all those that don't get the death sentance on an Island somewhere instead, i believe Taransay is available, i think we tried it as a nation before, Transportation to the colonies??:d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
as a member of the armed forces i can safely say, we don't want a bunch of ¤¤¤¤ holes ruining a highly motivated, disciplined profession. Can we not leave all those that don't get the death sentance on an Island somewhere instead, i believe Taransay is available, i think we tried it as a nation before, Transportation to the colonies??:d
OK I take your point about the bunch of ¤¤¤¤ holes. Taransay looks too nice.

Hows about Christmas Island, and turn the clocks back there to around 1958.

A

·
0 Posts
It seems the quality of the offenders life is of more concern than that of the victims.

O

·
0 Posts
How do you fancy them for live target practice - as PM I'd agree to that, anything to help out of armed forces

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
It is wrong to take a life no matter what, as well as that it makes it too easy for the murderer, he/she did not care abouth their victim so why give them an easy death, I stick with my view that they should be used for experiments and drug testing instead of using innocent animals

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't belive hanging is the anwer, its too fast. Pierrepoint could hang a man in 8 seconds. I believe they should stop segregation in prison of rapists, assault on the elderly and kiddy fiddlers, and let the other cons have them. that way it will also open up the vacant cells so that the taxpayer won,t have to pay for new prisons, and the long term care of the scum.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts