Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this may be nothing but its bothering me somewhat, this morning i received a Email in my bulk box saying that i have been looking for a on line business opportunity which i have not and could i please contact the Email address which i deleted.Iam wondering now where,how they have got my Email address from and should i be worried about this your feedback would be great cheers all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I get these everyday Donald and i think they are just opportunist. Unless there is something personal in them (other than your e-mail address), i'd just whack it in your junk box and delete it.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Don't ask where they get your address from - it could be any number of sources, including a virus on the machine of a contact who has your e-mail address.

If it's an unsolicited message, then you can be 99.9% certain that it's a scam. If there's really money to be made in this way, then people would save the opportunities for their friends and families, not give them away at random to strangers.

My money's on it being one of these 'account manager' schemes, where you accept payments on someone else's behalf and forward on the majority of the money after taking a cut. If you're lucky, you'll actually keep the money, though you'll be participating in a money laundering scheme that's probably funding international terrorism or something. If you're unlucky, they're pulling the old 'international bouncing cheque' scam, whereby they deposit a large amount with you (say 10K) you forward on 95% of it (9.5K) and think you're doing well having made 500 quid. Then six months later, it turns out that the cheque was a dud, the bank pulls 10K back out of your bank account, and you have no way of getting anything back from the scammers.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get these everyday Donald and i think they are just opportunist. Unless there is something personal in them (other than your e-mail address), i'd just whack it in your junk box and delete it.
Thanks sb as i said its already binned so it nothing to worry about ive done the right thing iam not that stupid then:) cheers Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't ask where they get your address from - it could be any number of sources, including a virus on the machine of a contact who has your e-mail address.

If it's an unsolicited message, then you can be 99.9% certain that it's a scam. If there's really money to be made in this way, then people would save the opportunities for their friends and families, not give them away at random to strangers.

My money's on it being one of these 'account manager' schemes, where you accept payments on someone else's behalf and forward on the majority of the money after taking a cut. If you're lucky, you'll actually keep the money, though you'll be participating in a money laundering scheme that's probably funding international terrorism or something. If you're unlucky, they're pulling the old 'international bouncing cheque' scam, whereby they deposit a large amount with you (say 10K) you forward on 95% of it (9.5K) and think you're doing well having made 500 quid. Then six months later, it turns out that the cheque was a dud, the bank pulls 10K back out of your bank account, and you have no way of getting anything back from the scammers.
Thanks Horatio ive done the right thing then by binning it cheer all the best Donald.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
This is probably a Phishing e- mail Donald, designed for the unwary to reveal credit card details etc by clicking onto a link in the message, you have done the right thing be removing it. If you are worried about these type of e-mails there is a free program called Phishguard which enables you to drag and drop the links and nine times out of ten they turn out to be credit card scams,
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all bloody worry about thinks like this everyday, as i said its gone cheer all the best Donald.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts