Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I'm new to the forum and am looking to buy a new (second hand) car.

I've seen a really nice Modus dci Initiale with low mileage but the usual Renault Horror strories are putting me off.

What should I do??

Chip

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
True enough. There again, all mini-people carrier cars look strange, so perhaps I should not be so hard on the Grand Modus. It's just that one of my colleagues has one and it looks terrible to my mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chip,
I owned a 54-plate 1.4 - and it was a nightmare.
Within the space of 15 months or so, we had:

- a non-start in the drive...AA came out and fiddled with it, can't remember what the actual diagnosis was.

- the rear right door latch inexplicably stopped working...resulting in needing to lash the door closed, and off back to Arnold Clark.

- the final straw was getting back to a flat tyre after a fortnight holiday....couldn't get the spare out to save my life! (bloodied knuckles etc)...even the AA mechanic couldn't!...one of those twist and turn me mechanisms.. spent 30 minutes on it, eventually got it out.

Found it to be short of breath too...you had to keep your foot down to keep up a decent bit of speed.
We always go 'argh!' when we see one..

Regards & Good luck..
JP

G

·
Mrs W has a 2005 1.2 Modus that she's owned from new

So far, she's had one window regulator break (probably not helped by trying to open the window on a frozen car) which Renault covered despite the car being out of warranty. A couple of instances where I've had to clean the connectors to the rear light clusters, and one broken wire on the headlamp switch that I easily traced and fixed myself.

Other than that the car has been brilliant, and I know she'd have another tomorrow :)

The spare tyre is a bit of a so and so to get out the first time you try, but a bit of brute force and ignorance (I have plenty of both) usually does the trick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.