Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the car (espace iv 2.2 dci) had been left in cold for a couple of days - pressed start button took a bit longer than normal to fire up glow plug and zig zag symbol lit up momentarily.

Anyway warning displayed ' fuel injection system faulty' this went away car has driven normally and has not reappeared yet.

Should I worry, it is just the last time i saw this (but when driving not at start up) message not long after I lost the engine. Could the cold cause this or is the cold highlighting a weakness somewhere?

Nigel

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I might be wrong but I'd put it down to the arctic weather we have been experiencing. My thoughts may lie in the fact that the glowplugs may not have had sufficient time to kick in before the start button was depressed. Or did the diesel in the injectors gel in the cold?
If it was a recurring problem your warning light would have been displayed frequently.
Have the fault code read next time it's serviced if it still worries you.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - sounds logical, didnt think about the diesel gelling.

My thoughts were just to keep an eye on it - but nice to get a 2nd opinion.

Did take it for a one junction journey on the motorway at the time (no snow or ice) but saw 3 crashes on the way up (northbound M6 jnt 28 to 29). A big pile up when I turned back and the southbound return the M6 was at a standstill due to another accident. Got home as quickly and safley as possible and thought I must be mad. Sort of a long way round to Tesco.

Made me think - I hope people stay as safe as they can on the roads at the moment.

Nigel

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I had my glowplug light flash this morning after I started my van for the first time since Saturday.

Never happened again.

Paul

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I'd agree with Nick, when we had the bus, anything below -2 and you got those symptoms ... never caused any problems (about the only thing that didnt) :rolleyes: yup if your worried get them to check the fault codes the next time its getting some TLC.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
It was just a fleeting thought, I can remember lorry drivers adding paraffin to diesel to help prevent gelling - I think modern additives may prevent this...

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Truckbusuk,

In a way i shouldn't be suprised - these are sensitive cars. I bet you don't get these problems on the Volvo.

I could list numerous issues this year alone, but have somehow managed to keep the cost right down - but don't know how long this will last.

Cheers

Nigel

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a way this is actually a good distraction from Christmas (I do enjoy it really). In between I have been seperating kids (sounds painful) following santa on the net and filling the lounge with presents.

Just wondered if whisky would help !!!! I'll give it a go then put some in the car!

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Just wondered if whisky would help !!!! I'll give it a go then put some in the car!

You probably would if you drank enough of the stuff, lol
:d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts