Independent Renault Forums banner

Should Renault Charge for Diagnostic Tests ?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 453 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK simple poll for you all to feel free to vote on..

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I don't understand how they can justify charging what they do! I pay £20 to a guy in a garage local to me, god only knows what it would cost for Renault to do the test.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to agree - More and more garages are having to shell out for diag kit but at the end of the day if their charges were more reasonable I would prefer to go Renault as they have the latest technical bulletins and info on the cars.. Shame they feel the need for greed..

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Laguna II Owner said:
I tend to agree - More and more garages are having to shell out for diag kit but at the end of the day if their charges were more reasonable I would prefer to go Renault as they have the latest technical bulletins and info on the cars.. Shame they feel the need for greed..
But if we pay it, are we not saying that its ok to charge us? I agree about the most up to date info etc tho :crazy:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Might be useful to have a third option Stu:

"Yes - but this should be representative of the effort involved"

The justification from most dealers is the expense involved in buying the kit. IIRC MG kit was coming up for sale second hand after MGR went bust circa £20K

BUT...

The cars are full of sensors telling them what's going on. Surely if this is something that is reported by the ECU/OBD then that's saving them labour in the first place?

My personal opinion is that there should be no charge, or one that reflects the amount of time taken to run the procedure. Why should you pay £80 - £120 (these are not guessed at figures - these are charges that I have seen applied) for them to tell you that there are no faults logged?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
if they did the repairs after finding faults then the fee should be deducted or a percentage reduced from final bill

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
selwonk said:
My personal opinion is that there should be no charge, or one that reflects the amount of time taken to run the procedure. Why should you pay £80 - £120 (these are not guessed at figures - these are charges that I have seen applied) for them to tell you that there are no faults logged?
I'm just trying to imagine if my M.D. came and asked me to diagnose a fault with his PC - for me to spend 5 minutes checking it, find nothing wrong, inform him that I can't find any problem and then ask for £50 ?

Then again, I spent twenty minutes yesterday diagnosing and fixing a problem on our accountants PC. She asked why it had taken so long as she was used to me fixing problems quicker.
I just said "Because I get paid so little these days, I gear down" :)

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I would be quite happy to pay a small fee for the diagnosis. Perhaps pay them £30 which included the test and "some labour" if all that was involved was to replace ( an easily replaceable) sensor or connector.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I'm the only one that has voted yes so far even though I share the same view as pretty much everybody else. You can't expect them to do it for nothing but the price should reflect the time put in.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I've voted yes too, but on the same premise - that the charge should reflect the actual labour involved, probably rounded up to the nearest 1/4 of an hour. The dealers have to make a profit, and two minutes on the diagnostic machine will take a mechanic off a job for considerably longer, while he finds the car, takes it into the workshop, runs the diagnostic, does the paperwork and parks the car up again. There's also the wages of the service reception staff to pay (a five minute job may be just as involved as a five hour one for them) and the general overheads of the business, which would need to be covered in the hourly rate.

More to the point though, I think Renault need a kick up the backside when it comes to customer service on cars that are out of warranty. I'm increasingly coming to the inescapable conclusion that as long as the customer is paying, many dealers are happy to make an expensive repair when a cheaper one is often a more likely cause. From personal experience, there was the new 500 quid instrument cluster needed on my RXE (later reset for the basic diagnostic charge by another dealer) and the need for a 250 quid wiring loom on the Clio when the TDC was the most likely culprit. I have also seen cases on here of people who appear to have received similar treatment.

If Renault don't already have 'mystery shoppers' to keep their dealers in check, then they really could do with getting some. If they carry on like this, it'll only be a matter of time before they find some of their main dealers featuring on programmes like 'Rogue Traders' and that will be a major embarassment for them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OG said:
Hmm, I'm the only one that has voted yes so far even though I share the same view as pretty much everybody else. You can't expect them to do it for nothing but the price should reflect the time put in.
Yep - there should be a poll option for "There should be a nominal charge" or something...

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
It's the same with all manufacturers, though. There should be a realistic charge for plugging into a diagnostic machine and getting a printout of logged faults etrc - say £20

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
After diagnosing what was wrong with my car with help from this forum I booked my car into Renault to have a new rear caliper fitted. Even though I had a used car warranty on it I still refused to let them add a diagnostic charge on the bill as I had diagnosed it myself!:crazy:

Stand up to the Bxxxxxxs!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Of course Renault have to charge for a diagnostic check,but £80 or £120 is taking the p### somewhat.I would of thought £40 is reasonable(about 1/2 hours labour time).
The trouble with not charging if they find no fault is that it still takes the same amount of time to do the test if there's a fault logged or not!
Diagnostic checks can make fault finding so much easier and faster and can actually save you money on labour charges and replacing parts that aren't faulty.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I have just remembered that a month after I aquired my car I took it into my local renault dealer for them to do a small job on it and on the invoice it said ......

Advise handbrake needs adjusting!

I had a look at this myself and found out one rear brake caliper needed replacing as the handbrake was not working at all on one rear wheel!

So much for competent diagnostics:steam:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great opinions - I have added the third poll option and ask if other members can vote or make comment.

Just how much have you been charged for diagnostics recently ?

Have you tried to get a refund as you later found the diagnois incorrect ?

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Isn't it always abused?

My philosophy is that this operation should be treated as a fixed cost to the dealership for the first ten years of a car's life. I'll say why...

I believe that dedicating one unit to diagnostics per dealership won't add to costs that can be spread over the profits generated by the number of cars sold during the year, i.e. the cost per car would be minimal... and as happens in insurance, the lucky majority subsidise the unlucky minority (or vice-versa in the case of Renault -I jest- :d ) I think we would all agree that there is no such thing as a free meal, wouldn't we?

As to hooking up, ramping etc, my local Citroen garage brought out a hand unit (a sort of laptop pc) and just plugged it in where I had parked the car, so it could be handled in this fashion to cut costs.

In the long run, customers will be better served by the service, dealers won't lose out because it gets more punters into their showrooms to look at their newest models, and there won't be any incentive to screw an already wound-up punter out of a ton for a simple opinion (or so called diagnosis) that mostly misses the problem being researched but comes up with some other. "No fault logged" means "get on hands and knees and look for broken or disconnected cables, relays etc etc etc.; on the contrary there would be an incentive to do a thorough and succesful diagnosis/prognosis for the sake of avoiding repeat attendances.

It's not as if they tell you which component on a circuit board it naff. How many times is the diagnosis proved wrong and equipment changed un-necessarily (at the customers' cost)?

So can we please have another line polling whether "Renault shouldn't charge for diagnostics during the first ten years of a car's life"

If you accept to pay, whether it's £1 or 100, they will always be happy to take your money.

Cheers,
vass2o

·
Registered
4 Posts
Diagnostic Tests

Since Renault make it impossible for any other (even reputable!) garages to carry out (much cheaper!) tests they should be prepared to do these tests at a reasonable cost. I am thinking of taking the matter up with Trading Standards, as I think they are abusing their monopoly!
Ian Stephen:steam:

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
stevo981 said:
Since Renault make it impossible for any other (even reputable!) garages to carry out (much cheaper!) tests they should be prepared to do these tests at a reasonable cost. I am thinking of taking the matter up with Trading Standards, as I think they are abusing their monopoly!
Ian Stephen:steam:
It would be interesting to find out how TSO view this matter. My objection is that it seems to be such a good earner that the first thing dealers say to you is to book it in for a diagnosis. At up to £90+ that is not something you want to be doing on a daily basis. It doesn't cost that much for some tech to bring out his 'laptop' and plug it into your car socket.

If they are reaping the benefits (as we also do) of selling us all the gizmos that invariably go wrong, they should shoulder the responsibility of making them reasonably reliable... don't you think???

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
You should not be charged for diagnostics for the simple reason that you took your car to a garage to be repaired, they should be able to tell you what is wrong with it once you have told them what is happening!

If the mechanics cannot tell you what is wrong they need more training.

1 - 20 of 453 Posts