Independent Renault Forums banner

Should Renault Charge for Diagnostic Tests ?

• Total voters
421 - 440 of 453 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
a nominal fee yeah maybe but £75 is shocking..

of course they need to recoup their outlay for the training and machine costs but even if they drop it to say £25 or less they would attract more customers and recover the outlay faster
I see our point but would that cost figure include labour costs of £100 per hour or part thereof - even at 15 minutes that would equate to £25 for labour. Plus we have to consider renault dealers don't own the diagnostic kit they have to rent it. So if you add £25 for labour to the costs of the rental and training it's more likely to be around the £50 mark at least.

I do think Renault diagnostic cost are much too high but we also have to realise the cost of overheads and labour. Plus the fact they have opted to use a different protocol in thier ECU's it does hit Renault owners hard in the pocket.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
My local Renault dealer charges £75 for diagnosis which is the same as the fixed minimum amount of one hours labour they charge on any job. Although they admitted thay would only charge me half that for disabling the TPM system (£37-50)

A local Vauxhall dealer charges £70 and a Ford dealer about the same.

A local independent charges £25 or £30 but from my dealings with him he hasn't a clue as to what the fault codes mean.:crazy:

I reckon the manufacturers set a fixed fee and it's up to each individual dealer to add on their costs for labour. For instance lets say the fixed fee is £25 and the garage adds a minimum of half to an hours on top. Hence the variation between dealers.

I have heard from a few car trade guys that the kit (in physical form)will no longer even be provided to the dealers but they will only have a cable to connect to the car and after that its an internet connection to a central computer. That too may even disappear if the system becomes Bluetooth based.

For most if not all dealers its not a question of buying the kit but renting so if the rental charges go up so does the cost to the customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do not pretend to have read the whole of this thread, but at the retail price of the car, and with the powerful CPU-based diagnostics gathering electronics resident within it, it would cost very little to provide the diagnostic output visually to the dash.
The problem is to interpret this data, displayed or not, based on the dealer collected data from all the cars of similar type presenting at the Renault dealers.
So the diagnostics has two data parts and in theory, as time goes on, the result is more accurate and therefore quicker results.
The diagnostics technicians in the dealers provide the final link.
The problem is that all this data, collated by Renault is not accessible to us, even as enthusiasts or qualified engineers and that is the sad part. We must remain ignorant and patronised to a certain extent. Thoroughly beholden to the manufacturer, we never seem to benefit from the quickness of the modern database driven diagnostics and continue to be forced to pay quite high fees to the dealers, who in turn are forced to pay huge fees for the diagnostic hardware and continued huge subscriptions to access the database(s).
But should we pay when all this fails to find the fault after several visits even at the minimum time-slot charge each, we still have a vehicle that runs like a 3 legged mule? Adding this to a list of replacement parts and the associated labour for fitting, all suggested by the diagnostics and all wrong!
NO!
A maximum liability for the diagnostics and a final cost limit to the actual parts required to remedy the actual fault.
Then we know that what we are paying is actually resulting in manufacturer confidence in their product and their dealership support network.
Suddenly, going to a main dealer makes sense.
Which manufacturer will be the first?
Probably never, because nearly all of the above revenue paths end up in the manufacturer's pockets.
I have a vision ..... Yeah, right!

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,430 Posts
If you are booking a diagnostics and not having the work done by them then a charge should be made but if you have the work done it should be deducted from the bill
ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think they are completely fair in charging, however not at their current price point. I'm fine with paying 30 quid for a full diagnostic, that is more acceptable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No! They should supply goods that are fit for purpose & that means that they should supply free diagnostics when their goods fail in service. After the diagnostics has been carried out, a quote for parts & repair should be given so everyone knows EXACTLY what they are dealing with before they shell out! I'm sure most people would choose to use the main dealers if there was no doubt about costs!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not if they have been serviced regularly by a garage. They should charge for spares & labour but Diagnostics? They should help all owners feel positive about their vehicles by helping them find what is wrong, after all, they built them in the first place & want people to come back for more. Customer service is the BEST way to ensure that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I owned a VW before this car I have now. And VW do charge for the diognostic a fee of £60 but then if any faults come up and you stay with VW for the problem fixing the £60 is then wiped clean and you just pay for the parts and labour which in my case is a good deal. I wish Renault did this I would always go to them. Another problem with Renault is that you can not tell them a code that has come up if you have scanned it your self as they just say well we have to scan the car in order for our technicians to fix the problem so you still end up paying for the diognostic. A petition should be set up to stop this happening it isn't far we buy the bloody cars and if the parts run and last like they should we wouldn't after keep paying out.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,454 Posts
So VW will take your word for it ,if you say its the lambda or the egr they will just fit it and give you the car back,,or if you went with a PO 300 fault what would you want them to do,,,,I charge for diagnostics ,,,,Would assume anyone who works for a living would like to be paid for doing their job,,,look at it another way 10 people come to me and i spend all day doing free diagnostics ,,at the end of the day i have earned nothing ,,will ask you if you would work tomorrow for free,,would your answer be yes or no ,,,have never come across a garage or anyone who does diagnostics not charge,,,you do mention vw waiving the fee if they do the work ,,,,would they waive the fee if it was to change 1 spark plug ,,,ten pounds part ,,,15 pounds labour for the ten minutes it would take ....These are my thoughts on this ,,,,,would your reply to charging for diagnostics be the same as your thread,if you were doing it ,,,P.S. I dont charge my customers if they have the job done by me and would say this is the same for all self employed mechanics that i know .but if they dont have it done by me then i charge :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
I understand garages need to charge for diagnostics as like you say they wouldn't earn anything. But in my opinion it's the fee they charge £60+ for them to plug it in for what 5 mins to tell you what is wrong then charge you for the parts then labour charges plus vat it's just far too much money for people who just haven't got it. people who struggle just to pay for the parts never mind the diagnostics and VAT. vw don't let you tell them what the problem you think it is if you have scanned the car yourself they insist they need to scan the car with there diagnostic tool. I have heard people on here tell me that Renault charge ridiculers prices for diagnostic it shouldn't be allowed £20 yes that's fine but £70 for two minutes work is a big Nono.

·
38,454 Posts
Have you been there when they do a diagnostic on a car ,,or have you seen someone with a hand held scanner,,,i could not do a diagnostic on any car using the laptop in under half an hour,unless i was using a generic interface and that is normally only doing a top layer diagnosis,,using dedicated interface for dedicated make is not that quick ,,most cars want a full scan of all the multiplexed system ,,then the information it gives has to be interpreted by the person doing the diagnostic,,,,that is really what the charge is for ,,that understanding of which sensor is really causing the issue ,,,or knowing its not a sensor at fault but a stretched timing chain stopping the car from running ...or the egr valve is ok though thats the fault thats showing but by looking at the live data know its a split in the pipe going to it .....So next time you have a diagnostic on your car please think how long it has taken the person to get that knowledge and saving you a small fortune by not throwing parts on your vehicle that are not needed,but by pinpointing it down to the most likely cause of the issue that you are having

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
In your scenario I would not disagree with a charge.

I stood next to my van when a Renault tech plugged in, read code as MAF failure. Took less than 3 minutes, charge £80.

That's not right.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,722 Posts
Have you been there when they do a diagnostic on a car ,,........
I have. And spent time with guys far in excess of the basic standard charge.
So accept that it averages out if the next time (or customer) only needs 5 minutes but still gets the standard bill.

And have no real issue with diagnostic time being charged when it is needed.

My main gripe is the seeming automatic "must do a diagnostic...." whenever you call up a main dealer.
To me that smacks of sticking on a charge whether needed or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is my issue right there ^^ I have been twice since I bought my Renault and both times I was there 15 -20 mins and both times charged the standard price :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
IDIOT IN DISGUISE
450 Posts
I think if they charge it should be a standard amount across the board and then if a fault is found it should be deducted from the repair bill.
Bear in mind it will be one of the first things they will do to a car that has been taken in with issues whether you ask them or not.
Luckily nowadays there are numerous people who do just diagnostics for a living and have good kit, plus they charge a fraction of the price a dealer does. It's common sense to check what equipment they use before hand to make sure it will read the car correctly.

·
38,454 Posts
OH have i started the ball rolling:eek:..you can have the best machine in the world ,iIF you understand it,but lets just say that A company has sent a person to college for a diagnostic course,spent a lot of money on that training,he diagnoses your fault ,,then you are happy ,car is cured with parts changed,then you get some one turns up at your door can diagnose the problem and there is a list of faults, but he has diagnosed your problem ,,you give that person x amount of money, a third of the main agents charge,you are quite capable with spanners and insulation tape to replace these parts ,,,BUT and this is the but of the matter the problem is still there,,,!!!!!!!!!:eek:NOW 1 the guys done a diagnostic and these are the faults,but its still wont go ,,Do you say well that person was cheap and charged you 20£ ,changed all the parts 120£ ifor it ,then you see all your friends and familly and say the person was useless,because the car still wont go,,Looking at it logically .,,,,,,...,,,,,,,...,,I will buy a machine i will work out how to use it ,do my own diagnostic ,will get a clone can clip, easy,find some where to download visu and dialogys hey they sell them on tbay for 85£ one session at 80£ from main agent dont need them,,then comes the real world (as you can see after 20 odd years of using diagnostic machines and understanding them am quite passionate that some one thinks they can buy one and use it)press the wrong enter on the laptop ,,HOUSEBRICK outside the house but ive had a good mess ,:dthen you will ring some one like me ,,say nothing ,lie basically not because you are embarassed to tell the truth,but more so because of the labour cost,then two hours later when that person has got your car up and running,or at least in the state before you messed ,,he is a great guy..but he has now charged you x amount of money,,,so even though Yes I do personally think they charge more than they should,,
I could hand on heart,:mad:,,a car could be a non runner because that person knows more than me and i in this context actually mean me because he knows more than me ,,and i will not use the excuse that he works on A brand of vehicle, day in and day out ,,he should do ,,,and it still does not justify the charge:( The car is running again ,,and you can take your partner and kids and grandkids or next door neighbours dog out ,,,,after all these years in the trade ,,I can say it is easier to strip and repair an engine,gearbox ,in fact nearlly everything on a car,even down to the s----y electrics,than to do a diagnostic and customers be happy with the charge...its always that person has had me over, ten minutes work x amount of money., just to plug a machine in... Any way now ive got that off my chest,,Wishing every one on here happy motoring:dP.S. please dont all of you start fixing your own cars as all us rip off merchants wont be able to survive:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
In most dealership garages the minimum charge seems to be one hours labour so whatever their one hourly rate is that is likely to be the cost.

A Seat agency a few streets away from my home charge £83-00 plus VAT for diagnostics. They have two technicians whose main job is to diagnose then they get the grunts (mostly 2nd year apprentices) to change parts.

My neighbour who has a SEAT Altea discovered her drivers door-lock was faulty. She phoned the dealership to make an appointment for repairs. She was informed the cost of diagnosis and putting the car in the computer was £83-00+VAT. Now she is not particularly mechanically minded but she asked them could the computer actually see inside the door - they laughed but she went ahead anyhow. A day later she was presented with a bill for £389-59 plus VAT making a total of £460 or thereabouts. The breakdown of the bill was £83 for diagnosis, £140-59 for a new door lock, 2 hours labour at £83 (total £166). Two days later she went to open the window on the same door and it jammed open. She called out her breakdown service and I assisted the guy to remove the door liner whereby we discover 3 bolts missing for the window regulator mechanism and the door lock nechanism had NOT been renewed as claimed.

The mater is now in the hands of her solicitors and trading standards.

421 - 440 of 453 Posts