Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday whilst removing the EGR valve for inspection on my '07 Trafic 2.0 dci i noticed some dirty brown oily type stuff had run out of the intercooler (lying on its side whilst removed). Would this be normal to have a little oil in there.I imagine it comes from the turbo?
Also the pipe connecting the EGR to the exhaust seemed to have a lot of oily/greasy residue inside it, The flexible/corrugated type pipe. I cleaned some of it out but was unable to remove it as it would have required me removing more bits from the van and had already spent 2 hours getting at the EGR.
Trying to gather as much info before i take it to the Renault Dealership for Diagnostic on Tuesday week(24th January) although i won't be telling them everything i`ve found for them to possibly fob me off......

)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The intercooler may naturally have an oily film but in my experience it shouldn't be filled with oil to the extent it runs out.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The intercooler may naturally have an oily film but in my experience it shouldn't be filled with oil to the extent it runs out.
It was lying flat side down (outlet for pipe that joins up at EGR meant it was raised slightly at one end) there ran about half a cupful of the stuff which could only be described as a gravy like brown. I didnt like the look of it but my mechanic seemed to not be too annoyed about it. The intecoller looks dry when you look into it though. Maybe a clean out would be a good idea? is there anything for such a job? Oh, and what is the Throttle-body type thing before the EGR?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
A rinse with white spirit and a hot wash afterwards should help. Just ensure there no water inside before fitting.

I suspect the throttle body type thingy will be the stop damper valve which only activates on engine shut-down to prevent diesel run on.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
if theres oil in the intercooler then this is a sign that the oil seals in the turbo or about to blow ...if they blow then the engine will rev its guts out some day soon ....when the seal goes in the tubro the engine will suck all the oil out off the engine ...therefore reving the **** out of the engine and the only way to stop it ..if your lucky is to put ingear and let the cluch out ..and stall the engine there is two sealss in the turbo ..1 on the left if the left pipe has oil in it ...or oil i the .... the right pipe which goes to the air filter get a new turbo now ..now ..or youll be looking for new enigne ..you have been warned ..
get the seals kits on ebay orbuy the turbo on ebay a lot cheaper ....£300....do it now ....david

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if theres oil in the intercooler then this is a sign that the oil seals in the turbo or about to blow ...if they blow then the engine will rev its guts out some day soon ....when the seal goes in the tubro the engine will suck all the oil out off the engine ...therefore reving the **** out of the engine and the only way to stop it ..if your lucky is to put ingear and let the cluch out ..and stall the engine there is two sealss in the turbo ..1 on the left if the left pipe has oil in it ...or oil i the .... the right pipe which goes to the air filter get a new turbo now ..now ..or youll be looking for new enigne ..you have been warned ..
get the seals kits on ebay orbuy the turbo on ebay a lot cheaper ....£300....do it now ....david

Jeez, well i didn't think it should be doing that but you've really hit me for six there David. Would those seals being gone have left me down in power ? van has been slightly sluggish over the last 2-3years. Thing is i`m having trouble with the engine anyway. An intermittent miss has developed into a splutter over last 3/4weeks. goes like crap until you get up to 60mph or over in 6th gear. Renault can`t do a diagnostic until next Tuesday! Been driving around very cautiously because i haven't got anything else....Long Story. Thanks for that though.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A rinse with white spirit and a hot wash afterwards should help. Just ensure there no water inside before fitting.

I suspect the throttle body type thingy will be the stop damper valve which only activates on engine shut-down to prevent diesel run on.
Thanks for that Noel, I`l give it a bash. As for the hot wash do you mean blowing hot water into the intercooler ? I'd understand it would obviuosly need to be dry before re-fitting but how could you tell.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking, wouln't there be oil on the pipes from the turbo that connect it to the intercooler? Theres a hard plastic one,changes to flat over the top of engine then joins a rubber hose that then goes to intercooler. i`ve had those off several times and they are clean. Would there be some sort of blow back from the EGR or the Stop damper valve? There does seem to be a lot of dirt stuck around engine where the rubber pipe from the intercooler meets the stop valve like oil had been blown out nearby. Either that or there may have been overflow when oil was replaced as the filler is almost above that.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Jeez, well i didn't think it should be doing that but you've really hit me for six there David. Would those seals being gone have left me down in power ? van has been slightly sluggish over the last 2-3years. Thing is i`m having trouble with the engine anyway. An intermittent miss has developed into a splutter over last 3/4weeks. goes like crap until you get up to 60mph or over in 6th gear. Renault can`t do a diagnostic until next Tuesday! Been driving around very cautiously because i haven't got anything else....Long Story. Thanks for that though.
yes thats why you are losing power ..look at the back of the engine around the turbo and if you see any oil...then seal or seals are bad..the way to check if both seals are gone.. is oil in left turbo air pipe ..and oil in the air filter. if the filter is black ...then both are gone ..if so your very close to the big rev..your van will sit there full rev and will scare you to run from the van
does not mater if you drive slow are not.. it will still go ...i see it all the time and bang goes the engine and end off ur van ..sorry to scare u .... but its a fact ..fix the turbo and the rest of problems will go away ...david if you cant afford a new one. around £1000.+from renault ..take it out and put new seals in ..... or if you cant do it if you send it to me .i will recondition it for a price ... david

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes thats why you are losing power ..look at the back of the engine around the turbo and if you see any oil...then seal or seals are bad..the way to check if both seals are gone.. is oil in left turbo air pipe ..and oil in the air filter. if the filter is black ...then both are gone ..if so your very close to the big rev..your van will sit there full rev and will scare you to run from the van
does not mater if you drive slow are not.. it will still go ...i see it all the time and bang goes the engine and end off ur van ..sorry to scare u .... but its a fact ..fix the turbo and the rest of problems will go away ...david if you cant afford a new one. around £1000.+from renault ..take it out and put new seals in ..... or if you cant do it if you send it to me .i will recondition it for a price ... david
Its hard to see but from what i can everything looked clean. I`ll take another look to be sure. At best and its just the seals, are they expensive? I was trawling ebay there for odds and ends and didn't come across the seals for that particular turbo.
Do you think the turbo problem could leave the engine hesitant and spluttering,slight knock at the lowest revs? as i said when you get it up to speed 60mph/2000rpm then its practically fine. My Mechanic was waiting for diagnostic(several independents haven't been able to find much or know what the codes meant) because he didn't want to be costing me money by changing everything in sight. Thought possibly timing had jumped? Injector or pump problem..... Thanks for your help and advice though. Any info at all gives me some peace of mind or a new direction to follow.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Main problem is injector 1. nothing else showed up on Dealer Diagnostic. Before i could mention to give the Turbo the once over i`d lost signal due to where i was working.Havent collected van so will ask them to look in the morning. £50 for the diagnostic and quoted £600approx for new injector fitted.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
£600for one injector ..wise..he ripping you off

buy the injector on ebay fit it yourself

write down the no on the injector before you put it in
put it in yourself..its easy..
then go to him and tel him you want him to reset the injector on computer..thats why you write the injecter no ..to give to him ..he types it it and press ok ..and thats it all done ....£30 at most whats he gharging you £600 for

or on ebay buy renault can clip and plug it in to your van ..and reset the injector yourself..£130 for can clip..then sell it on ebay for £100 when ur done

david

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Hi,
just because you have oil in the intercooler or in the air pipes doesn't necessarily mean that the Turbo oil seals are failing.

As madnoel said there is always some oil residue in the air pipework and the intercooler, this over time can build up to the point where it seems to be quite a bit.

Where does the oil come from I hear you asking....it comes from the crankcase breather hose.

On a Diesel engine you get quite a bit of piston blow by because of the high compression ratio, these gasses pressurise the crankcase so there is quite lot of pressure coming out of the crankcase breather hose, these gasses carry oil vapour. There is normally some sort of oil separator fitted that is suppose to remove the oil vapour but they don't seem to work very well.

For ever action there is a reaction....the more the Turbo blows the air out the more air it sucks in so it is actually sucking the gasses out of the crankcase breather as well as sucking in fresh air through the air filter, this is how the oil vapour gets blown through the whole of the air pipework.

I would guess that the brown coloured oil that came from your intercooler will be that colour as it is oil mixed with condensation that has formed in the intercooler.

Tip for Diesel owners

I've had a few Diesel engines do the "Big Rev" (as soundsrite terms it) these were none Turbo engines and yes it is quite a scary thing, but if you keep calm you may be able to save the engine from terminal damage.

The engine is running on its own oil, you can't turn it off with the key, but you can stall the engine, if left alone in neutral it will rev out of control, it will only stop when the engine seizes, runs out of oil, or if it throws a rod or similar.

If the Big Rev ever happens to you, you will obviously see a lot of smoke starting to come from the exhaust but you will also feel a sudden power surge, as soon as you realise what's going on slow the car down on the foot brake, by keeping the car in gear and slowing it down on the brakes you can control the engine revs, don't take it out of gear or press the clutch in as then the engine will just rev out of control, get to a safe place to stop as soon as you can and stall the engine by pressing the footbrake hard and letting the cluch out.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
£600for one injector ..wise..he ripping you off

buy the injector on ebay fit it yourself

write down the no on the injector before you put it in
put it in yourself..its easy..
then go to him and tel him you want him to reset the injector on computer..thats why you write the injecter no ..to give to him ..he types it it and press ok ..and thats it all done ....£30 at most whats he gharging you £600 for

or on ebay buy renault can clip and plug it in to your van ..and reset the injector yourself..£130 for can clip..then sell it on ebay for £100 when ur done

david
Yep,£600 approx for the supply & fit of one injector. That must include a £300 commission for them as they would sending it to the local Diesel Services anyway!! My mechanic happy enough to take it out but we both aware that it may not come out easily. For now,the hunt is on for an injector. @;(

I saw the CAN Clip on ebay and reckon i could do with it and maybe it might pay for itself ifd i can get a few clients with some troublesome Renaults around.....Should'nt be hard lol @;)

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
well said ttt.,,the way to make sure if the seals or not good is take out the egr valve and if its got loads of fresh oil in there..then the seals or not good on exsust side ,,and on the air breather side if there is a lot of oil ..then the air side seal is not good as well
as the turbo has two seals ...

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Seems we are a bit fixated on the turbo seals here:),yes they do give trouble as described, but on the evidence so far seems far from proven. In any case many a turbo has been prematurely changed because the oil return from the turbo to the crankcase was blocked.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Long story short. Injector one(it was actually number four!!!) removed & replaced. Independent guy did diagnostic,answer- wrong injector. so we removed the real number one and replaced it. Neither were easy to get out, second one broke but the removal guy took it out. Van Going now and collecting it tomorrow. So be careful when removing injectors,making sure you know which one is which,regardless what the dealer says.........

·
Registered
1 Posts
new to forum , so first post .
After owning a 2004 54 reg trafic 1.9 for 7 years from new with only a leaking steering pump as anything of note in 127.000 miles

I now have the 2010 Vivaro version of the trafic , a 2.0 version , I have had problems with a turbo whine and a egr rattle ( fart ) when changing down the gears and also changing up ,

to cutt a long story short , a new egr valve was fitted and turbo replaced under warrenty which runs out in april 2013 , but no clean up of pipes and intercooler which had oil inside it ,

after complaining that the egr valve was rattling again ( fart noise ) they washed out the intercooler , now I have it back after 30 mile the rattle from the egr valve is back but intermittent

and I took a photo of the inside of the top pipe from the intercooler showing brown water/oil mix , I also suspect a slight whine from the turbo after only 200 miles of it being fitted.

photo of intercooler pipe

any suggestions ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I have the same problems with oil being in places where I thought it should not be.
I have a 2006 Renault Trafic Dci 100. It is 900 miles short of 400000 on the clock. I am a transporter / courier driver and work all across Europe so I do the miles but I do have the van fully serviced regular. Besides regularly changing the oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc I am on my 5th timing belt ( I always buy the full kit with new tensioner and water pump, I have replaced the EGR valve several times (bought expensive German ones / or what ever arrived in the post with a high price tag) replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor 6 times or more and replaced all parts I can not recall what they are called.

I am not a mechanic and if I was call an amateur it would be an overstatement. so I am sorry if my description is not technically correct.

Just of late I have been losing a lot of oil. Because of my pre booked work across Europe I have no option but to keep topping up the oil and driving with fingers crossed. I guess I have done at least 8000 miles like this before I had a three week break in my work. Fearing the Turbo seals are about to let go I had a new one fitted (the old one was full of oil and making rasping noises when spinning by hand) I cleaned out all the relevant pipes (thoroughly as instructed by my mechanic) and the intercooler.( well as clean as I can) On replacing the turbo we found a hole in the engin oil return pipe after the turbo ...a little alloy type pipe with two sets of machine made wrinkles in it is the best way I can describe it (now replaced and could be one reason that I was losing oil but it was not the only reason)

I go back on the road for a day and notice oil on the floor when I was parked up. Go back to my mechanic and he inspects the pipes again and there is oil in the air pipes again.,..we then notice that there is oil spraying from the seal around the EGR valve so oil is being lost there.

I should mention that when the engine is running and the dip stick is out ...smoke vapour comes out of the engine and if I have my pipes correct then also from the pipe that connects to the nearest point next to the EGR valve.

It is mentioned above by TTT that it is not unusal to have oil in all the air pipes and the inter cooler but my fear is that something is something far worse than the crankshaft pressure forcing oil / gas vapour up the crankshaft breather pipe and around the air system (disconnected the said pipe when engine running and we could see an emission coming out of the pipe. Any clues or information is gladly appreciated. Cheers In advance of replies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To also add I have also changed the boost pressure control solenoid and the T plastic piece( not sure what its name is)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts