Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my 2nd hand Renault Scenic RX4 2001 for about 3 weeks & its been great.

The only issue before now was that in 2nd gear it would shudder (like the revs were too low), normally only if you are slowing right down to go around a corner or at a round-about for instance.

But a couple of days ago this shuddering started while I was going along at around 50kms/hr. It is like a surging, choking shudder when you are accelerating.. the car looses power, the revs drop then it studders & will then suddenly surge up to speed again then drop back & shudder.. I hope I've explained this in laymans terms well enough (I'm a girl hehe).

I was on red light petrol so thought I might have been about to run out.. I pulled staight into a gas station & put in approx 1/4 of a tank. The issue hasn't gone away. Once up to speed & just cruising on the motorway around 100kms/hr its ok, just in the lower gears or if you need to accelerate off again. If feels terrible the whole engine is shaking & shaking the whole car.

Any suggestions or possible diagnosis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Energiza :)

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Renault Forums :)

Assuming your RX4 has a petrol and not diesel engine fitted? I would get the ignition pencil coils checked out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wonder if it is the coil packs, I've recently suddenly had a weird vibration at idle, then it sounded ok when you revved the engine, but when you did it under load, ie in gear it would come back.

I was convinced that it was an engine mount problem but this morning I had to get homestart out as the battery was as good as dead and I cant figure out why there would be a drain.

After some investigating ie checking the spark plugs (all look fine) and checking the coil packs individually, it appears that one of them is not working correctly, ie when the engines running and i pull the coil pack off the spark plug i can hear the spark jumping across, but on one of the four it doesn't.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just to say, ive been to my local motor factors and got another coil to replace my suspected dud and voila £25 for the part and 2 mins under the bonnet and its all back to normal!! :d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts