Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What silly things has your MOT tester picked you up on and failed the MOT for?

We do sort out a lot of minor stuff as we go, but technically an MOT tester doesn't have to, so beware. A little home DIY could save you £££££s...

Here's a few to get you going...

1. No washer fluid. If there ain't no fluid, the washers ain't working and technically that's a failure.

2. Dangly things on the rear view mirror. Take them down before you have an MOT, as they obstruct your view. Leave them down and stay safe.

3. Rear number plate bulb - a simple DIY swap. Check it beforehand, probably best done at night. Almost 1 in 5 MOT failures are due to bulbs. Check them all.

4. Smudgy wipers! Check your wipers are ok and clearing the screen effectively. You can easily check their effectiveness on a regular basis if you live in the UK, but not in a carwash. Get new ones quickly cheaply from places like Halfords and fit them in a few minutes. Worn wipers can scratch the windscreen too, and if the wear marks are in the driver's view it's a fail and time for a new screen.

Any more for any more?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Re: Silly Things To Fail An MOT on

One I experienced recently with my van was that the indicator bulb (although working fine) had lost its tint due to age and was flashing clear (due to the lens not having any colour itself).

Bulb was replaced and it passed without probs.

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
I fitted my own headlamp bulbs on my Megane and they failed me as they were "too high".

I once failed my M.O.T. on my Astra Mk. IV as "brake pipe corroding". It was with a mobile mechanic who charged me for the M.O.T., and then the hour's labour on top of that!

Suffice to say I got my M.O.T. done elsewhere and he showed me my 'corroded' brake pipe, rubbed the surface of it with a wire brush, and shiny new metal appeared underneath: bit of surface rust was all it was!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Our Clio was failed for a black mark on the number plate caused by water getting into the edge. It did not obscure the lettering at all as it was near the edge and I have seen many cars with completely obliterated number plates on the road.

As it was the only thing they picked up on and the garage also made number plates, I guess they were having a slow day!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Our Clio was failed for a black mark on the number plate caused by water getting into the edge. It did not obscure the lettering at all as it was near the edge and I have seen many cars with completely obliterated number plates on the road.

As it was the only thing they picked up on and the garage also made number plates, I guess they were having a slow day!
The rules pertaining to number plates are quite specific and must meet the relevant BS standard (BS AU 145d) so technically any deviance outside these limits can constitute a fail.

Also remember that plates need to be able to be recognised by speed cameras and the like.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have also had the indicator lights being too clear and the water seeping into the number plates causing discolouring.

The way our plates are mounted isn't very good, I don't see why the screws need to be in the middle because it confuses the cameras and looks stupid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts