Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

What are the possibilities to convert a DMF to a lighter single mass flywheel on a Laguna mk2 with F4Rt? My current flywheel is going, so I'd rather replace it with a solid one. I tried googling and found no info or conversion kits. Maybe there are other Renaults which can be salvaged for the single mass flywheel?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,130 Posts
Dual mass and single mass conversion = same weight..
Its to allow the engine to idle correctly.. and when accelerating not any undo vibrating of the engine, its a counterbalance..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dual mass and single mass conversion = same weight..
Its to allow the engine to idle correctly.. and when accelerating not any undo vibrating of the engine, its a counterbalance..
Good point, I should've been a bit clearer :) My goal is a lighter flywheel but normally it's the single mass that's lighter.

·
38,130 Posts
Yes understand what you mean, but then you will have problems getting your car to idle, and you will have a vibration issue in the engine at high speeds..
This could in turn damage the input shaft on your gearbox, and then the diff will go, then it will knock drive shafts, these will bounce on the seals, and the seals will leak, and then a gearbox needed...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've heard about that but other people say they have no issues whatsoever, so I assume this is car or gearbox specific and isn't an issues on all cars and all gearboxes.

Since I would be changing it myself, I can easily try a lighter flywheel and if it causes serious problems, then I would replace it with a proper OEM-spec.

·
38,130 Posts
Diesels , its not so noticeable ,, so everyone thinks its ok
Lots of VAG's in the scrapyard, that proves it's to late after the fact..

Petrol engines, these idle smoother, if the flywheel cannot counterbalance the crank shaft, then it will do damage....
Just pointing out pit falls,, not saying dont have a go as its your car..

But not even come across a conversion kit for one,, this could be down to low demand, so one off's would be expensive, or it's been tried and was decided its a nono

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-197-Light-Weight-Flywheel-For-The-Standard-Clutch-Just-4-4kg-Clio-200-F4r/183051554176?hash=item2a9eb90d80:g:g3YAAOSw6GJaTOyJ

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,564 Posts
Op seems to have changed half way through .... confussssed but then again, I am easily confussssed :frown2:

Flywheel mass has an important use in smoothing out vibrations, even at low revs, each pot only goes bang once every four revs.
Less mass and less smoothing.
Then you get onto dynamic balance such as Outkid mentions at higher revs.

Ideally if low mass flywheels are fitted, it is as part of a complete engine build for high performance engines and where the whole system is balanced to the nth degree.
And in a hi performance engine, allows faster response to the throttle as less mass to wind up.

Never seen the point of just bolting one to a stock engine, cannot see will gain benefit, can see inherent risks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts