Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . I have a knocking. Hiking from front suspension, not very loud and usually on turning steering wheel tightly , or acceleration, jobs already done ( outer tie rods, drop links , top shelf mounts, both wish bones, was a problem with subframe which wasn***8217;t reassembled correctly causing a lot of noise was fixed on last visit to garage ( one of wish bones was done a year ago and both bushes had to be replaced last week so was def cheap part wandering if the ball joint needs to be done aswell .. anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,703 Posts
You had bushes installed in a wishbone?

Must have cost as much to do that, as have a complete wishbone fitted ..

Has Top gear box mounting been checked?
Lower engine/gearbox mount has this been REMOVED and checked,, WONT be able to tell if on the car ,, will just show play, but not that its giving a Cracking sound as such..
Needs to be removed and examined
If on acceleration, then the top part of the Engine and gearbox move forward, and the bottom parts move back..
But with you saying you also get it on hard lock.
Would also be looking at Isolator/D bushes that go over the anti roll bar bush..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply , is replacing the gearbox mount a diy job , can gear box be supported from beneath with trolly jack while replacing ? Very interesting about the d bush on the anti roll bar as the sound only came into car after replacing the drop links . I was surprised mechanic wanted to just replace bushes on wish bone but he didn***8217;t charge me as he only replaced the wish bone about 6 months prior .

·
37,703 Posts
Yes, just put a block of wood on the jack saddle..
Depending how low you need to drop the Box to change the mounting.
If more than 2 inches, then disconnect/remove the engine/gearbox mount as you will Tuck this up

The Knocking, now you have just mentioned that only occurred after new link arms.

Buy two new link arms first and change these.. Or get a spanner on and at least check these are tight enough
Had too many faulty link arms over the years, its actually become embarrassing .

I assumed you had these changed because of the Knocking ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes had them changed because of knocking , will change both tomorrow and see if it helps will tackle the gearbox mount st the wknd. Thanks again for the tips .

·
37,703 Posts
Before you change them, disconnect them, lift the stabiliser , see if the stabiliser bar stays up, if it drops down, D/isolator bushes have had it..
You should need to force this down, or up...

WILL not be easy to move, if bushes are good

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I checked the anti roll bar & when disconnected they are very loose indeed .. can anyone tell me are these bushes replaceable without dropping the subframe

·
37,703 Posts
Never been able to do easy it without help,.
Its drop the subframe slightly, .
Undo the bolts to get the brackets off,
New D bushes come with splits in to go over, then but the bracket back over..
Easy part, hard part is forcing the bracket down to get the bolts to go back in.
Hence the extra pair of hands ..

Subframe off, its easy, as you can press the bracket down from the top, and replace the bolts..
But I am a weakling , if you are strong you could find its a doddle

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you do much for the quick response. So when you say drop subframe slightly , do I need to split wishbone ball joint etc ... or just remove subframe bolts

·
37,703 Posts
Just Undo front subframe bolts, remove rear subframe bolts, then should be able to wedge subframe down enough..

If you have to drop subframe, remove pinch bolt, at the bottom of steering column.
Now make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position
Tape steering wheel to the dash, so IT CANNOT turn. you dont want to screw the airbag squib up ..
Very easy to screw airbag squib up on Renault DAMHIK..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok great I will try first option without dropping subframe .. I know prob best to use a diagnostic tool to disable airbag but let***8217;s hope it doesn***8217;t come to that ..also will I need to undo both bolts on clamp holding bushes or will one be enough .. thanks again

·
37,703 Posts
Both clamp bolts, DISCONNECT the battery,, Be safe ,, be sensible , ..:wink2:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again . So I was going to try change the roll bar bushes today and was just wondering will the subframe drop down with just removing the bolts . I was concerned about steering rack will it also drop slightly to allow access without disconnecting it .

·
37,703 Posts
Its a gamble really,

I tend to just remove the pinch bolt going through steering column..
Bottom of the steering column.
Remove pinch bolt, now turn steering to straight ahead position, tape steering wheel to the dash so it cannot move.. Now pull on the lower part of the steering column, it will slide up ( To refit smear some grease on the splines/pinch bolt area )
Lower subframe enough to do the job,

just MAKE sure, when you refit subframe that the wheels are in the straight ahead position, .
Refit lower column, Now remove the tape from steering wheel to dash
THEN turn the steering to refit lower column pinch bolt..
Again, this is how I do it, as airbag squibs are expensive, and should the steering wheel spin around, and you have not got it back correctly, you could damage the air bag squib wires ( done it once, and the job cost ME money )..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts