Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a real mystery! My Megane seems to be fine re cooling/heating etc with no fluid loss however I can hear a watery slooshing noise from behind the dashboard when around town (most usually in trafic but this might just be because engine is quieter). No idea what it is or how to get rid of it..a nnoying! is it something I need to gets seen to?I thought it might be condensation from air con evaporator trapped in bodywork.. building up over time?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
welcome to the forum garyheiss.
the noise you describe sounds like water trapped in the bulkhead below the wiper's,have you checked the drain holes they may be blocked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

I have taken off the trim under wipers but see no water.. I have tried to bleed air from rad. is there only one bleed screw on top corner of rad? Whats the best way of doing it?
I was always a 'bleeder' LOL!!

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
i took the trim out from under to wipers and couldnt see any liquid, to me it sounds like its coming from the left side front
passenger door area

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any joy?

have you sorted it?
I am trying to bleed system but am in need of advice to tell the truth.. should you do it with car hot?

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
don't do it hot.

With the engine cold open the cap from expansion bottle.
Set heater controls to hot.
Open all bleed screws (there may be one on rad hose)
add water to expansion tank check bleed screw shut when no air showing.

Start engine and run to temp with Cap off expansion tank, top up if needed. refit cap run till cooling fan kicks in. Check levels again when cold.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it sounds like it's coming from the door area,check the drains in the bottom edge of the door.Water will come past the lower window seal and run through the door.This is perfectly normal,and it should drain out through small holes in the bottom of the door,obviously if these get blocked,then the door gradually fills with water.

Use a small screw driver or coat hanger type wire to poke through the holes and make sure they are clear.:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
the sills are under your doors,and run the lengh between the wheel arches.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Heater

I have been told it may be air trapped in heater matrix as I noticed it slooshed as soon as I turned the car on... so def not trapped water..
I got lumpy starting for about a minute from cold I wonder if its related to low coolant? Only because the engine computer checks all sorts of things to regulate fuel/air mix etc??

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I have been told it may be air trapped in heater matrix as I noticed it slooshed as soon as I turned the car on... so def not trapped water..
I got lumpy starting for about a minute from cold I wonder if its related to low coolant? Only because the engine computer checks all sorts of things to regulate fuel/air mix etc??
This used to happen a lot on the 19 16v' it was air trapped in the heater matrix. The only way to sort it was to raise the header tank above the level of the matrix and give the hoses running to it from the bulkhead a good squeeze. Sometimes its just easier to park on a steep hill and do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Slushing noises

Yes, this is the second time I've had it.
The first was when I bought a Megane from an auction (R reg), found it was in the auction because the gaskets had blown. Spent £288 getting it fixed (still a bargain) then driving it away all this slushing noise could be heard. The garage didn't believe me and would not go for a drive with me. Got another Renault owner in - said it was air and the system is designed to clear itself.
Couldn't test out this theory - the car was smashed up the next day by somebody not setting her handbrake. Next Renault was from auction (s reg), everything fine until today when the slushing has come back. It's got bad memories for me. It's got to be air trapped. But this seems a bad feature of these meganes along with the electrics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts