Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
I'll have a look later, I already like using Google earth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With all the cctv cameras we have here in the UK I dont see the Google Earth new feature as a major intrusion into our lives anymore... Maybe I'm to complacent?

I have found though that the photos of where I live (near Gatwick), are at least 8 years old. You can see features that have changed over the years and are 'old' on the photos.

Its definitely nowhere near realtime.

There is also another site that I came across once that has a comparison between all of the aerial mapping services, Google earth, Yahoo, Microsoft, Nasa etc, and you can switch between each supplier. From memory I think Microsoft were the newest and clearest.
I'll have to dig out the URL...

Check this out... Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

Cheers
Bob

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
With all the cctv cameras we have here in the UK I dont see the Google Earth new feature as a major intrusion into our lives anymore... Maybe I'm to complacent?
I'm inclined to agree for the most part. I suppose the real problem with a high profile service such as Google Earth is that there's a good chance of you being seen by someone you know if you happen to get snapped in one of the pictures.
I have found though that the photos of where I live (near Gatwick), are at least 8 years old. You can see features that have changed over the years and are 'old' on the photos.

Its definitely nowhere near realtime.
Ours were that old for ages, but they've recently been updated... with photos that are at still least two years old now. Our front garden is now tarmacced (done around 2002) and our neighbours' conservatories are there, but ours (built the Christmas before last) is not there.

In fact, I can probably date it to within a few days. There's a large gazebo in our back garden which was up for less than a week when it was badly damaged (the frame was warped) by torrential rain on Father's day in 2005. We left it up for a short while after that, but ended up taking it down and throwing it away.

There is also another site that I came across once that has a comparison between all of the aerial mapping services, Google earth, Yahoo, Microsoft, Nasa etc, and you can switch between each supplier. From memory I think Microsoft were the newest and clearest.
I'll have to dig out the URL...
That sounds pretty handy. I wrote a little program that let you zoom into any location in a TomTom OV2 POI file using Google Maps, but I ended up adding Multimap and Windows Live Maps because no one service gave the best imaging for every area I tried it on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Horatio,
I well remember the first time I stumbled on G'Earth, it was one of those rare technology 'WOW' moments....
Re the comparison site, its called Flashearth.com
It's still working. Just access the area the same as Google, i.e. type in your postcode and woosh!, after that switch between map supplier. Some areas maybe the same definition though. My area is still best viewed via Microsoft though...
It looks to me as though my MS views were done in the summer and the Google in winter.

As with your area I can date the views within a few months. The offices where I worked had a fire, and the view clearly shows the Portacabins we worked from while the damage was fixed. That was in November 98.

I have an old tomtom and am just getting into the way the files are used and structured. Would be great to have the Google 3D view in a TomTom...

As for getting seen by someone on G'earth. I guess unless you have something to hide then what does it matter? My god I'm starting to sound like my father...

Er... what I should be saying is 'power to the people'...
Cheers
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts