Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving home from work tonight and had to do a spot of unusually hard braking. I'm typically fairly easy on the brakes so its was nothing more than a sharpish stop after getting caught out by some lights.

As soon as I was stationary I was surrounded by whitish smoke which seemed to be coming from the front and sides of the car. I had a look around the car and checked all the usual levels, oil, water and brake fluid, there was nothing obviously wrong. The car does have a minor oil , only needs a little topping up every other week which I was going to get sorted out in the next few weeks anyway.

Anyone have any ideas as the where the smoke may have came from? The brake system would seem the obvious place to start for me but I'm really not sure what to be looking for, and how serious this is likely to be.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
if i was you mate i would take your car for a brake test,saftey first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, will head for one on monday I think, its due its MOT anyway so might just do it all at once. Was wondering incase anyone here had seen it before or knew what to expect.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
it could have been a build up of dust,as you said earlier you are usually soft on your brakes,so a bit of heat from hard breaking may have caused it,don't delay in getting them checked ,i would go to a quick fit tommorow, a brake test is normally free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll head in on Monday, working all day tomorrow and can get a lift in and back so will be leaving the car in the drive til I get it looked at anyway. Will let you know if I find out what it is.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, naturally you will know how hard you braked and how intense the 'smoke' was - good, prudent advice has been given.

I would be inclined to think that what you saw was a combination of heat and dust from the brakes, plus a bit of debris from the tyres locking up (I'm sure your car doesn't have ABS).

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying - you have every right to be cautious, but I would be willing to bet that the brakes will prove to be fine (just maybe a few thousand miles taken off their lifespan). The fact that the car drew to a halt in a straight line (it did, didn't it?), should also give you a bit of confidence that they will check out fine.

Be prepared for the fast-fit places trying to sell you all sorts though - do you have a trusted mechanic you can get to inspect the car instead?

Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider...

Paul:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Mmmm, sounds like one of your rear wheels has locked up when braking ... could just be road surface changes or one side unloading while you braked, but getting them checked is good advice .... use a MOT station with the proper gear, rather than the likes of our fast-fit fitter friends, who will now doubt find you need tyres, exhaust, dampers, oil change and wiper blades, oh ... and a kitchen sink.

Hope it helps :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, I'm taking it in to for its MOT and will get them to have a proper look at the brakes while they're at it. Its a guy I know so I can trust him not to rip me off.....I hope :rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little update.

Its not been in for its MOT yet but on having a look over the car and taking it to try and reproduce the same thing in a quiet car park it seems its not the brakes. Once the car is heating up I have oil running down the front of the engine from near the dipstick area, dripping onto the exhaust and burning. With the heavy braking a bunch of oil must have got thrown onto it at once and made so much smoke.

As far as I had known the small leak I knew of seemed to be further under the car, so I'll need to work out exactly if this is new or a worsening of my existing leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats it been in for the MOT, got a little work done to pass. Rear brakes needed adjustment and a spot of welding was all it needed. The oil is seepage from the head gasket and a coroded sump which is in need of patching. The smoke when braking was most likely caused by the oil being thrown about a bit and splashing in to the hot exhaust.

Just incase anyone else ever needs to know ;)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Not that bad then, thanks for the update.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts