Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
any mention for Kebab throwers, nose pickers or chewing gum droppers? Probably not. Spitting, If the gov fined all the chaves that spit we'd all be able to take a day off work!!

Now where's my lighter!!:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the only drawback from the smoking ban in Public/confined places in Scotland is the amount of stubs outside pubs and work places .

All littering is unacceptable and it is not just smokers who are guilty of this and also they should not see themselves as victims.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
All littering is unacceptable and it is not just smokers who are guilty of this and also they should not see themselves as victims.
Absolutely! But I think the biggest obstacle is the fact that most smokers don't see discarded cigarette butts as litter. Most wouldn't dream of dumping a coke can or fast food wrapper out of their car window, but they don't think twice about turfing the remains of a smoked cigarette out onto the road.

Similarly, when on foot, the easiest way to extinguish a cigarette is to dump it on the ground and stand on it. That's probably still going to be the best way to put them out, but smokers need to learn to pick them up and discard of them sensibly, much as dog owners now have to do if their dogs foul the streets.

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
is wrong to litter I dont deny that, but what about drunks who use the street as a toilet, and are sick everywhere, that is more disgusting than a fag butt, and chewing gum spat on the street.

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
is wrong to litter I dont deny that, but what about drunks who use the street as a toilet, and are sick everywhere, that is more disgusting than a fag butt, and chewing gum spat on the street.
I suppose they have to start somewhere and the ban seems to coincide with it.

We also have on the spot fines for littering, which i know is used in Liverpool for littering of any kind. Often on nights out in town, i've seen drunks handed fines for urinating/throwing up in the street - £80 a go i think :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Smokers seem to think this £80 fine is aimed purely at them but it is not it is just that the existing penalty for littering will be enforced for Cig butts which it could always have being so, I think it is just the local authorities taking note of the problem it has caused in other areas where the ban has being implemented.

I for one do not see smokers as being victimised some obviously do, I have noted in the media that some publicans are thinking of contesting the ban crazy, The ban has worked in Scotland and I was shocked to see people smoking in Pubs etc in Englandshire on my recent visit which only served my belief that the ban is correct and a prgressive step.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Was not complaining about the smoking ban, as someone who did used to smoke a lot and is now down to approx 2 a month it has helped me to give up, however to me personally I see a lot more offensive rubbish on the streets than a few fag butts, will be interesting to see how well they enforce this and if it also means, less broken glass, used condoms, needles and syringes, vomit and other body substances, all of which can damage others health.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find it strange that anything mentioned about smoking or the ban as such people start saying ah what about this or that or whatever as if smokers should be exempt from all forms of legislation so if a smoker throws up in the street or discards any other form of litter they are a victim and it is against their human rights to stop them smoking or confine their smoking .. Strange.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I find it strange that anything mentioned about smoking or the ban as such people start saying ah what about this or that or whatever as if smokers should be exempt from all forms of legislation so if a smoker throws up in the street or discards any other form of litter they are a victim and it is against their human rights to stop them smoking or confine their smoking .. Strange.
I've been verbally abused whilst manning a stop smoking stand recently. I had people throwing daggers at me (not literally) and swearing, not to mention walking past me with unlit cigarettes in their mouths (how pathetic!) in no-smoking shopping centres.

I'm not the smoking police, our service is there to help those who 'choose' to quit. I couldn't care less what people think - but i know exactly what you mean.

Maybe its justifying their habit to themselves :rolleyes:

To any smokers reading this, no one is telling you to quit smoking - you still have a choice to continue smoking, or to quit! The ban is gonna happen whether you (or MP's!) like it or not and abusing people like me isn't going to change a thing :mad:

Sorry, rant over :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep it is gonna happen wether they like it or not.... So smokers don't just think of yourselves think of others also.

Regards

Ottoman

1 - 14 of 14 Posts