Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

The other day I was parked after towing a trailer on my Megane when the car went clunk and the rear drivers side dropped about 4 inches.

The trailer wasn't especially heavy, 50lbs or so, and I took the car to a friend to have a look. We had a look underneath and it turns out it has a snapped torsion bar suspension.

I took it to a mechanic who said than it is impossible to change just the torsion bar because it is welded. He suggested changing the complete rear assembly, which would be pretty expensive even for one from the scrapyard. Price about 300 quid

I then rang the Renault service and they said that it is possible to change just the torsion bar, but advisable to change both of them for the wheel because they are probably both weakened. Price about 200 quid for one, 350 for two.

Another mechanic said he can redo the whole suspension, and this is a common fault of Megane's. Price about 300 quid.

My question(s):
Can the torsion bar be changed without welding?
Can it be welded?
Does each wheel have two torsion bars providing suspension?
Is it worth changing the whole rear assembly...that way the whole suspension can be changed, although the donor car might be in a similar state?
I can get a rear assembly locally for a Megane estate, but it doesn't have ABS...can I move the ABS from the existing system?

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.:d

Jube

A couple of things to note:
the car is a 1999 Megane Estate 1.4 lt 16V.
it is a bit rusty underneath
it has 80,000 miles on the clock

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Torsion bars can be replaced but extracting the one thats snapped will prove difficult.
On the end of the axle is a rubber cover, remove this and you will see the threaded end of the torsion bar.
Source a bolt thats fits into the threaded section, you will also need a spacer thats sits flush with the end of the axle, i used a old socket.
Take all weight off the axle, screw the bolt in through the spacer and eventually the torsion bar can be removed by tightening the bolt.
It may be difficult at first but once the torsion bar starts moving it becomes easy.
There's one on each side.
:)

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
hi
yes they can be changed, there are up to 4 bars fitted with a mid block in the middle, if its the same arrangement as a laguna 1.
price is approx £120 a bar, and £60 for the midblock. so full price is 500 ish + labour.
its probably cheaper to hunt down a complete back axle and simply swap it over, certainly quicker and cheaper.
fitting spring assisters on the rear shocks is certainly a good idea to reduse the chances you will bust another torsion bar.
look up MAD suspension on google/ebay.

Reactions: jube

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's true...now that you have told me that they can be removed. The mechanic threw me for a bit saying that they can't be removed...that they are welded...which is why I thought about just changing the rear axle completely.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
IIRC they are sided, in other words they must be swapped from the same sides of the donor axle.

Mine were dabbed with paint, different colours for each side.

I only replaced the side that was broken.

It may take several attempts to get the vehicle the correct height and level.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to another mechanic, his colleague is just wrecking a Megane (hopefully not one in for an oil change ;-)), so he should be able to see if things fit or not with the donor right there.

Tomorrow, hopefully everything will be clearer.

Thanks again for your help...it's always a bit worrying when the mechanic starts rubbing his hands together and saying that the car is about to fall apart and it is a major...when in actual fact a rusty rod has snapped. Nothing mystical about it.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
In my experience in most cases it's not the bar that fails but the rear axle assembly corrodes and breaks. A second hand axle is the best option and they used to be got cheap but as it is becoming a more common problem prices have rocketed.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see where the rod has broken, right near where it attaches to the axle assembly, but you're right it is all pretty rusty around there, so probably the axle assembly isn't far away from failing. I plan to be looking over the mechanics shoulder when he makes his assessment. But looking around, I can find axle assemblies for sale without the bar, so it is probably the weakest point and the first to fail.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
you will have no issues using a axle/hubs with ABS fitted if your car does not, as its only an extra sensor and reluctor rings (which you dont use). everything else is the same.
there wont be much difference in price when replacing the rear disc/hub.

Reactions: jube

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mechanic took apart the assembly but couldn't get out the broken torsion bar because the whole axle assembly was corroded. So he changed the whole axle assembly and moved the ABS braking system from my orignal axle. All done.

Thanks for all of your help and ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.