Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My first post on here but am on a few other motor forums.

A friend of mine has a 51 plate megane, 1.6 petrol, I am told it has a K4m 700 engine in it, the car has only done 42000 miles, she only purchased the car 4 weeks ago and unfortunately, we believe the cambelt has gone (diagnosed after a breakdown by the AA) when the engine stopped, the car was doing about 30-40MPH, she did not hear any major noises.

I have not yet been to see the car, I will be doing this over the weekend and probably get it to my house to work on.

My initial thought was to put a second hand engine in it, but I am now wondering what damage is caused by the cambelt snapping on these engines? I am wondering if the bottom half of the engine will be OK and I could just get a reconditioned head or even recondition the existing head?

What is the recommendation?

I know the car is quite old and may not be worth a lot but she like the car and I think it is recoverable but I would like advise before I delve too deep into this.

I have worked on my own and friends cars for many years but not really worked on Renault engine to the extent so have no experience of this sort of work, though, I have done many heads and engine swaps before(not done either for over 10 years though)

I will obviously know more when I remove the head but if the general consensus is, the engine is not recoverable, I will need to think again.

once I have more information, I am sure I will have more questions regarding the intricacies of the job, IE. parts required, tools required etc.

Thanks in advance for your help, I did look for previous post but could not find what I needed, if its is all covered somewhere, I am hapy to read through post if I am linked to them.

Darren

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,050 Posts
One of our members had similar last year, recon head for 100 quid (about) which saved messing about with valves and valve buckets.

Certainly doable and spanner skills will soon come back.
I'd budget 200-300 quid for all the bits, worst part of job is access. Renaults are tight under the bonnet.

I suspect that given age and low mileage, previous owner did not think on life being on age as well as mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Racing certainty the original belt and for some unknown reason as soon as a car changes hands and the usage pattern changes all sorts of issues raise their heads.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I got a s/h head last year for £100 Im guessing being a 51 plate its the earlier type head (non vvt - vs- vvt type) as I beleive 2002 is change date but do double check - I also just recently scrapped that engine I did head on and put whole engine in , the engine cost £175

dont forget the extra of doing head - as in gaskets / head bolts - full belt kit - waterpump - oil and antifreeze - plus doing in car less space. when you can buy engine put the full cambelt kit on with engine out and refit in same time as a in car repair.

only downside is need a engine crane and possibly a clutch kit if doing whole engine

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/14-engines/509674-there-may-trouble-ahead-**fixed**.html

head thread ^^^

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/14-engines/574633-engine-swap-time-scenic-mk-2-1-6vvt-2005-k4m-782-a.html

engine thread ^^^

same basic engine blocks ( so gives idea ) but as a k4m 782 has VVT / dephasher pulley etc - DONT USE the engines lifting eyes to life engine / gearbox as one unit - as they will rip off lifting eye from back off the head as only held by m6 bolts..-USE strap / chains to solid mounts on engine + gearbox - in fact the engine mount and gearbox mount, make great pick up points as m12 threads to bolt a chain to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies and advise, I will try to get the car to mine this weekend and start to look at it then, I am sure I will be back on here at some point to gather more advise.

Can I get the head off and do the cambelt without removing the from of the car or is it all too tight in there?

any idea where to get the parts and timing kit from, I am just about to look on fleebay for bit, I also use euro CP for bits, any good makes / bad makes to stay away from?

Cheers

Darren

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
yes did head without taking front off tbh honest a head + gasket set and headbolts costs same as engine....

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Yes I know It's later engine. But you get the idea.
I rebuilt my head, Didn't even bother Skimming, just a set of Valves

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I know It's later engine. But you get the idea.
I rebuilt my head, Didn't even bother Skimming, just a set of Valves
Did you change seals and re seat the new vales etc.

Did you get it pressure tested?

30 years ago, I had a play with re seating valve on an old rover metro head that was completely dead, the head was never going to be used again, I got valves free from rover, as it never got fitted and I could not get it pressure tested, I do not know if I was any good at this.

Any advise if I go down this route?

Cheers

Darren

·
Super Moderator
13,566 Posts
Did you change seals and re seat the new vales etc.

Did you get it pressure tested?

Any advise if I go down this route?

Cheers

Darren
Obviously I lapped in the Valves & New seals came with the head set. In all my 50 mechanicking years, never had a head pressure tested. Why would one do that, not been overheated?
Cheers Wyn, That was the chap I used, Trechii is an anagram of the blokes name.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,764 Posts
What his name is Itchier,, Funny name that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As long as engine has not overheated and you loosen bolts in correct order, head should be flat and not need skimming.
Skimming a flat head can actually relieve stresses and leave it warped.
Ah did not Realise I should remove the bolts in an order, I know I need to tighten them in the correct order, I assume its the reverse, but I would have just gone for it when removing and have not researched the order yet.

Anyone know the order? got a pic?

What his name is Itchier,, Funny name that
very funny

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,050 Posts
Ah did not Realise I should remove the bolts in an order, I know I need to tighten them in the correct order, I assume its the reverse, but I would have just gone for it when removing and have not researched the order yet.

Anyone know the order? got a pic?.......
I can't remember for sure, think it is tighten from centre outwards, loosen from outside inwards but someone will confirm/correct.
When loosening, crack each bolt in right order, then go back and remove each in turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
center outwards
Cheers guys.

Just been looking at the parts website, all appears to be out of stock (water pump, head kit & timing belt kit) just emailed them through their website and got an auto reply saying not back in the office until 23 June.

Anyone else to look at? make to but or stay away from?

Cheers

Darren

1 - 18 of 18 Posts