Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, having a bit of a rant here, but I've just spent ages trying to work out why my e-mail won't download, only to find that it was the same cause as last time.

Some complete muppet, advertising an aircraft charter service, has sent me a 17mb e-mail. Actually, last time, they only sent me it once. This time around, they've sent it twice and doubled up the block to 34mb.

Last time around, I deleted it via my provider's webmail interface, though that crashed first time around because the 31,000+ image attachments must have been more than it could handle. This time round, I've downloaded a program called Magic Mail Monitor, and that's let me log into the POP3 server, sort the messages by size, and easily identify and delete the problem ones.

Is seriously :censored:ing off your customers the best way to advertise your business? Somehow I don't think so. I'm not in the market for chartering planes anyway, especially if they only fly out of London and Glasgow, but even if I was, there's no way this bunch would be getting my business.

I'm glad I got that off my chest. Thank you for listening (or reading) :d

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Glad you got it sorted Horatio, I had a piece of software on my PC that allowed a preview of e-mails before actually opening them and was also a spam warning device as well, unfortunately I had to re format and reinstall a while back and I can't remember what the software was called although Mail Washer seems to ring a bell, must do a google and see what I can find one of these days
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
I use mail2web.com . I've had a couple of people try to e-mail me the contents of their hard drive before now. All you do is type your e-mail address and password.:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shouldn't this be in the PC section? Sheesh! :rolleyes: :rofl:
It should be in the rants section, but we don't seem to have one :(

I let it slide the first time, but that's twice now. What's more, I'm still fed up after driving to Birmingham and back to fix something that wasn't broken. Maybe we should have a vent room :p

To Noel: I don't think I'll bother e-mailing my ISP, as this must be the tip of the iceberg with all the junk they have to deal with. Part of my job is kind of IT support related, and I've somehow been lumbered with the responsibility of the work's e-mail. If someone came to me with a problem like this, I'd say "well what the :censored: do you want me to do about it?" :p

Besides, I've wasted enough time sorting this out already:steam:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
have you tried anti-spamware? Or this may sound stupid, but why didn't you add that company's email to your blocked senders list after the first time?:)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
A rant forum sounds like a great idea!
That would be so ****ing good. :rolleyes: Then you would get all these W***ers who think that they have the only f***ing problems in the f***ing world, and who think every other f***er should have to listen. Added to that every manic depressant would submit his f***ing story and that really p**ses me off!!!!!!!!!!:steam:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A rant forum sounds like a great idea!
I meant it as a joke, but now that I think about it, maybe it's not such a bad idea. :d

have you tried anti-spamware? Or this may sound stupid, but why didn't you add that company's email to your blocked senders list after the first time?:)
I'm using SpamBayes right now, as it's the only thing I've found that does a decent job of sorting based on my own definition of spam. The industry I work in means that certain terms blocked by spam filters may well be genuine e-mail messages for me, so I can't trust a run of the mill spam filter to not generate troublesome false positives.

SpamBayes is brilliant because (as the name suggests) it employs a Bayesian filter (along with some other logic) to learn your definition of spam. Every time it makes a mistake, you correct it simply by moving the misplaced mail into the appropriate folder. Spambayes monitors those corrections and constantly improves its accuracy over time.

Right now, I'd say I'm getting less 5% false negatives and (more importantly) well below 1% false positives. Anything it's unsure about gets stuck in a 'possible spam' folder for you to peruse at your leisure.

The only problem with Spambayes is that it analyses every word in the document, which means it has to download the entire e-mail before doing its thing. It's great for sifting the crud out of your inbox, but it does nothing to improve your e-mail download times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts