Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i really require some advice. Ive had an absolute terrible time with my clio. Ok this is what has happened. 2 weeks ago i had my cars oil changed and oil filter. was out driving it on the motorway today and the engine cut out. pulled up and there was some oil under the car. Called the AA and they had a look at it and said that all the oil had leaked out of the car and the engine was seized!! he said i'd need to get a new engine! is that true??? also when he had a look at it he said that it looks like when i got the oil changed the mechanic used the wrong oil filter which caused the oil to leak out!

Now my cars gone and i need a new engine (which he said an 8 valve one would cost around £700!)

im really shocked and dont know what to do. please help someone

D

·
0 Posts
get a report from the AA and go back to the garage where you had the work done.
if it was an incorrect filter that had caused the damage, then the garage should be liable for the costs of repair.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Completely agree, I would also be inclined to contact your local Trading Standards (they should know about this), and if necessary, your local newspaper/radio station (if the garage disputes liability).

Nightmare.

It reminds me of the time when (at the end of my tether with my Ford dealer's ineptitude at servicing my car), I said to the Area Service Manager - "I can ruin my car for a lot less money than I'm paying you to!"

Stand your ground on this - don't be bullied/cajoled into accepting anything less than a replacement being fitted(with a warranty).

Paul:)

P.S. If the engine has been starved of oil, it will need replacement-there are so many parts that would need replacing, the labour costs alone would make it uneconomic to repair.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
God iam sorry to here this get that garage sorted out AA report in writing and then trading standarads and while your doing this inform the garage of what has happened and way and stand your ground and please let us all know how you get on you are in the right and the garage is in the wrong.......... full stop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts