Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received one of these for my birthday earlier in the month and was wondering if anyone knew how it really works.

When I say "how it really works", I mean how I can do some of the following;
  • Update the preinstalled map data (if and when required)
  • Include new map data like european maps etc...
  • Get Gatso warning to work on it
If anyone knows I would be eternally grateful as it seems a waste of alot of money not to utilise the item to it's full potential. I have tried various websites etc to no avail and there are no instructions in the box advising you how to do this.

If no-one actually knows how to do it, does anyone know where I can go to get information (forums etc...).

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't know whether you;ve come across this site yet but always found it helpful with my stuff.

Pocket GPS World
Cheers OG I'll check it out.

EDIT: Further thanks for this info OG. I have successfully located a thread on their forum which subsequently directed me to Sony's 'new' Nav-U website whereby I could register my product and receive email updates etc.

Whilst I was there I updated to the latest version, which was released today (hows about that for timing then), which enabled me to activate TMC information and Gatso Information, although I am having problems actually activating the Gatso information which is a 30 day free trial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers OG I'll check it out.

EDIT: Further thanks for this info OG. I have successfully located a thread on their forum which subsequently directed me to Sony's 'new' Nav-U website whereby I could register my product and receive email updates etc.

Whilst I was there I updated to the latest version, which was released today (hows about that for timing then), which enabled me to activate TMC information and Gatso Information, although I am having problems actually activating the Gatso information which is a 30 day free trial.
How have you found the sony nav-u51 as I have been recommended it too. How much is the subscrption for the gatso info by the way?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I've not long bought a Satnav (Garmin Nuvi 610) and can recommend the above forums.
As for Gatso's I enabled the 3 month FREE trial but once that is up I will be using the PocketGPS one as they do a subcription that is nearly half the price of my current one

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How have you found the sony nav-u51 as I have been recommended it too. How much is the subscrption for the gatso info by the way?

Hi champs07.

I cannot remember how much the subscription for safety camera's is and the website only states NIL as I haven't been able to activate the free subscription:confused: . Other countries on the website show £20.00 for 12 month subscription so I would imagine it would be around about this. Only worth it if you do a lot of driving in area's you are not used to I suppose.

How have I found it? Very good, pinpoint accuracy, touch screen can be a bit finicky sometimes but that's not too much of a problem. Haven't been able to use it since I got the new Laguna as it's got a heat deflecting windscreen which blocks the signal to the Nav unit:( . Sony want £45 for an external antenna and it's at the bottom of my wish list for the noo:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts