Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in doing their own fault finding I would recommend getting one of these Power Probe type tools which range from cheap - about £18 for home user to around £200 for professionals (several brands market these).
For 30 years I've always done my fault finding with a multi-meter but I only recently discovered the existence of this tool when an AA man used one on my Trafic camper which broke down recently.
I was surprised how quickly he was able to check relays/fuses/ignition switch/starter/electrical connections for both continuity and to power up components all with a prod of the probe and a flick of a switch, and the long lead allowed him to go all round the vehicle from front to back.
I've now bought one myself for £36 (mid range spec) and I think everybody's tool kit should include one.

Attachments

·
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah the good old multimeter and test lamp all in one.
True but a multi-meter doesn't have the +ve and -ve DC power supply function to power up components with cut-out protection (though the instructions say not to use this function on sensitive electronic circuits) and this saves the hassle of making up seperate fly leads for this purpose.
And for about £120 you can get one which has an LED screen with osciloscope function to read sensors.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
And for a heck of a lot more money you can get one that senses voltage inside the cables - ideal for finding a break in the wirng. I have a 240 volt pen which detects voltage inside cables - wish I could afford one for 12 volt DC.

·
9,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To any interested readers of this thread, there's some short demos of the power probes on You Tube which shows how they can be used.
All good motor factors stock and ebay sellers stock them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts