Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellow Renault fans,

I have two questions.
Will the difference in the size of spark plug gap from 0.8 to 0,9 play a significant role in fuel consumption of my 1400 16valve Megane Scenic?

Will the smaller gap lighten the load on the pencil coil so that it will last longer ?

Kind regards,
Andrel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the reply Dave.

I'm just wondering if one can believe everything the manufacturers say ? For example, I service my car every 8 to 10 thousand kilometres and not every 15 thousand as suggested by Renault.

Also still wondering about the spark. Why did other manufacturers not follow Alfa Romeo when they brought out the Twin Spark ALFA?

With a gap of 0,8 mm and not 0,9 mm the consumption is an average of 6.7 km/100 km. (about 45miles to the gallon) Should I bother to increase the spark plug gap?

Kind regards,
Andrel.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
A difference of 4 thousandths of an inch is unlikely to make much differenece. In fact such a gap could occur during use due to heat expansion, wear and tear, etc.

It is the amount of energy and not the size of a spark that makes any difference but as a general rule the wider the gap the hader it will be for the same amounht of energy to bridge the gap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts