Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that Champion RC 87 YCL and Renault 770050015 are the same. I called a local dealer today and he confirmed it too, saying that the Champion plug now has the same part number.
I have Motrio fitted in my Scenic, the dealer seemed to suggest they were a cheap alternative.

I'm running out of ideas trying to fix the ****e running of my Scenic. The plugs are next to do, but I want to make sure I have the correct ones as I understand that modern Renaults are very picky regarding the resistance values of the spark plugs.

My research tells me that the Champion RC 87 YCL are the same as Renault 770050015, but a third the price.

What do you chaps think, should I fit them or go for the Renault ones?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
I've read that Champion RC 87 YCL and Renault 770050015 are the same. I called a local dealer today and he confirmed it too, saying that the Champion plug now has the same part number.
I have Motrio fitted in my Scenic, the dealer seemed to suggest they were a cheap alternative.

I'm running out of ideas trying to fix the ****e running of my Scenic. The plugs are next to do, but I want to make sure I have the correct ones as I understand that modern Renaults are very picky regarding the resistance values of the spark plugs.

My research tells me that the Champion RC 87 YCL are the same as Renault 770050015, but a third the price.

What do you chaps think, should I fit them or go for the Renault ones?
I've replaced my plugs with ''genuine'' renault items and it made no difference whatsoever.
Fitting Bosch, renault, champion, ngk etc made no difference to the tickover or otherwise.
If you have to change them i'd choose renault but not to cure any running problems in the hope its a quick fix/miracle cure.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Don't waste your money then like i did hoping renault plugs would cure my '' hunting'' :d engine.

We have different engines but we both use the same plugs.

Bosch super 4 FR78X are another alternative.

Around £20 for four on ebay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Champs are less than a tenner on ebay. The sparks in my car have done 18k, so halfway through their service life, but for a tenner I'll put new ones in. I'll be putting in a new air filter too, although it's not dirty to look at.

New bottom engine mount on the way too, as mine has a slight splitting on it. The engine doesn't rock unduly unless you dip the clutch at standstill, then it twists quite a bit. I'm thinking that may cure the slight to and fro motion when driving along.

·
Registered
62 Posts
NGK plugs everytime.
It won't sort your issue by changing brand, but will if the plugs are at fault.
I worked in a motorfactors, we didn't stock champion as each time they had been given benefit of the doubt and stocked, there were numerous returns of failed plugs. I have personally seen plenty of champion with eroded electrodes when servicing vehicles too. NGK was probably one failure every four years of trading or something stupid. They still only stock NGK.
I would believe Bosch to be decent plugs too, but have no experience of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All this plug business is new to me. In the past, I just bought new plugs from wherever I was at, fitted them, sorted.:d

Now it seems that the resistance has to exactly correct and the gap has to just so or else the cars ECU conks out. :crazy: That may be just the IDE engine, but mud sticks.

That's why I was looking at Champion, they are the original plugs supplied by Renault I believe, except Renault rebox them.

I'm not sure it will help my car, but at the moment I've run out of ideas and diagnostics are a waste of my time AND MY MONEY.:mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.