Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which speedtests do other users use?

I've recently upgraded from 1meg to 'up to' 8 meg and was told not to expect more than 2, by a BT engineer as my local exchange was in the next area.

The two test sites i use speedtest.net and adsl guide are showing very different results when run a few seconds apart :crazy: Getting test results of 2meg and 6 meg.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

TIA

A

·
0 Posts
I would stick to the one selwonk advises.

Some others can include downloading lots of software.

sorry i'm not much help.

A

·
0 Posts
sorry should have said that they will mess with your connection for two to four weeks after installation. so any testing must be done after that.

S

·
0 Posts
Yep - the reason I use the Tiscali one is a) no Java, b) dead easy to run and c) meaningful results

·
Registered
80 Posts
is 128.oo mbps any good?

also recently upgraded from 1mb to 8mb, webpages still taking ages to load any ideas?

no virus, spyware etc on machine, everythin upto date:crazy:

A

·
0 Posts
Its Low 1.28 Out Of A Possible 8.00 Try A Download Manager For File Downloads. Internet Providers Test The Line For Two To Four Weeks After First Subscribing. So Your Speed May Get Faster After The Test Period.

A

·
0 Posts
MY CONNECTION jazzerfaux IS BETWEEN 3.4 AND 4.0
BUT THE DOWNLOAD SPEED NOT USING A DOWNLOAD MANAGER IS APPROX 1.5 AT NIGHT THE CONNECTION IS SLOWER THAN IN THE MORNING

·
Registered
44 Posts
Call me a cynic, but I have used many different bandwidth tests and have never got the same results,

Issues as I see it for these sites

Is it ADSL, if so what contention ratio, So at different times different speeds.
Where are you connecting too, if your service provider has a good interconnect with the hosted site, it should be better that hopping from one ISP to another.
Is it in an office where you are caching etc.
What is the connection to the hosted site.

I just think there are too many variables for any one site to give a real indication.

Cheers

JD

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
As some connection speed measuring sites are working they're actually using some of the bandwidth themselves - so no matter what system you using take its results with a big dose of salt. Currently I am running on 2MG and my neighbour has an 8MG connection and the difference is minimal. Definitely not worth the extra cost.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
10727.1 kbps is this any good????

Looks like your on a 10mB connection..

I work for an ISP, the best way is to download from an FTP server, The one I use as I work for them is ftp://ftp.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyondergames obviously depends on network traffic and software currently running on your machine, I have included a rough guide to what you shoud see (ie 1mb connection = 128kBps)

1mB = 128kBps per second
2mB = 256kBps per second
3mB = 384kBps per second
4mB = 512kBps per second
5mB = 640kBps per second
6mB = 768kBps per second
7mB = 896kBps per second
8mB = 1024kBps or 1Mb per second
9mB = 1152kBps or 1.1Mb per second
10mB = 1280kBps or 1.2Mb per second
16mB = 2048kBps or 2Mb per second
20mB = 2560kBps or 2.5Mb per second - roling out with Virgin media from may 2007.

Please ensure you have nothing like Limewire, bittorrent or any other sharing software running on your PC as this will greatly affect the result.. To use the ftp server go into a folder and click the file located by a link, choose the option to save and start it saving, if you dont see what you where expecting leave that file downloading and back in your browser go back to the list and find another file, download as many as you can at the same time till it says page cant be displayed and the add all the transfer rates on all downloads together and have a look at the chart above. Hope this helps ;)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Here's yet another ISP Speed test This one is stand alone and doesn't require Java

This one indicates that I'm getting less than 25% of that stated by my provider. When I inquired about the minus 75+% deficit, the ISP informed me the loss was BTs fault something to do with line rate and I should take up this problem with them.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Hondo - typical IS providers - politely remind them your contract is with them and not with BT - this is clearly outlined in consumer protection legislation. Even if your ISP Provider is BT their internet division is separate. It looks like they have oversold their network provision hoping customers won't notice - Rip-Off all over again:steam:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
tested mine, with orange, paying for 8mb actual speed just over 2mb :mad:
Check the wording - you're probably paying for "up to 8mbit" rather than "8 mbit."

In a nutshell, this means they're giving you ADSL (as opposed to ADSL2 or other broadband technologies.) ADSL's maximum potential speed is 8mbit, hence the claim. Most are just reselling BT's IPstream product anyway, so you get whatever link speed BT decide to allocate you.

The only way to tell for sure is to find out how to get your line speed details from your modem or router. The last time I looked, my TalkTalk "up to 8mbit" connection was linking at 1mbit :crazy:. I've been LLU'd (so I'm not on re-sold IPstream) so I reckon I should be doing a lot better.

Even then, that's the absolute maximum communication rate you'll get. Once you take contention ratios and other stuff into account, your throughput can be significantly lower than your connection speed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts