Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can someone please help with a query?

I recently bought a Megane Scenic 1.6 RT from a garage which had just been put through an MoT. Six weeks later I'm informaed that the Cat has split. Firstly, should the MoT have picked this up and secondly, should the warranty cover it?

Since I've had this vehicle I've noticed the bearings are going and the brakes are spongy. Do I have any rights in taking it back? :confused:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Hi MOT wise anything could have happened in six week to the cat.
How recently was the car purchased. New or Second hand.
I would read your warranty documents to check.
I wouldn't thinks the cat will be covered.
Best of luck with the rest

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, regarding the cat; It's less common for it to fail in this way (usually the platinum core starts to break up from within). I doubt if this splitting would have been picked up by an MOT, since, if it passed the emissions testing, then its passed.Unlike a service, whereby the garage assesses service items to ensure that they will be fit to run until the next scheduled appointment, an MOT is an assessment of aspects of that vehicle on that date only. It would be interesting to know why the cat failed in this way - was it a weld splitting? Had it overheated due to unburnt fuel combusting within the cat? Had it suffered an impact - i.e. speed bump/road debris? Or could it simply be because it ran through a puddle which splashed over it? The cat operates at very high temps, so that could be the reason. Its worth checking it out though, for future reference.Also, the cat has some salvage value, make sure your new one has this taken into account - if its not an exchange unit, then get your old one back - its worth some cash.I would advise contacting the garage regarding the rest, but its not very conclusive as to whether its simple wear & tear (you won't be covered), or if they value your custom & want to keep you happy (they may do something-but not necessarily cover the full cost).The brakes may just need the fluid changed/bled, but I would act sooner rather than later.Which bearing are they? Wheel bearings (relatively cheap & common to replace) or Engine main bearings (very expensive & rarely replaced - the engine is usually replaced instead). How old is your car? Naturally, it is over 3yrs old, what mileage & is it genuine? These are all questions which will determine what's feasible. Hope that helps, Paul

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Hi,

Can someone please help with a query?

I recently bought a Megane Scenic 1.6 RT from a garage which had just been put through an MoT. Six weeks later I'm informaed that the Cat has split. Firstly, should the MoT have picked this up and secondly, should the warranty cover it?

Since I've had this vehicle I've noticed the bearings are going and the brakes are spongy. Do I have any rights in taking it back? :confused:
Doesn't it depend on whether or not you have bottomed it since you bought? External damage will probably rule out any comeback you might have if the problem is with the ceramic core breaking up. Quite honestly, I would see little chance of a garage paying for a replacement; at the end of the day, you knew you were buying a cat of a certain age so you can't really expect a new one in return, can you?
You might be able to check if the cat had already been blowing (and been patched up) before you bought it, in which case you have every right to expect a replacement free of charge.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Any news,iveneverownedarenaultbefore......draws breath!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts