Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help........!! :steam:

I desparately need help from someone in the know please!:eek:

Today I've changed the brake pads on my Lagunal II Hatchback on a 53 plate (front and back). :)

I bought genuine parts and was able to change both sets with no hasstle or drama. :)

took the car for a little run up the street to check the brakes and the pedel is going staight to the floor...? :confused:

Manged to stop the car and prceeded to bleed all four brake cylinders to check no air was in the line...? :confused: none to be seen??

Brakes are very soft and the pedel goes to the floor if I leave my foot on the brake, I cant help thinking I missed something very basic, :eek: but for the life of me I cant think what?? :confused:

The brake fluid resivour is full, I've got no noticeable leeks from any line or brake cylinder, :crazy: whats wrong with my brakes...... HELPPPP......:steam:

TIA.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Were there any wear ridges on the outside of the discs?.

This would cause a similar problem as the one your experiencing,especially if the rear discs are worn.Once the pad wears to the shape of the discs the pedal will return to normal......

It is possible that you have damaged the seals in the master cylinder,but this is unusual.Did you remove the reservoir top when you changed the pads?

Also,the rear caliper pistons have grooves in them which should line up with nibs in the pads.If these aren't lined up properly,it can cause a similar thing to happen.

One thing to try is to clamp off the rear brake hoses and try the pedal then.If the pedal is firm(with the engine running),then you know the problem is with the rears.Obviously,if the pedal doesn't improve,then try the fronts.Obviously,don't drive it whilst you've the hoses clamped off!.

The pedal will gradually sink slowly with the engine started and with pressure on the pedal whilst stationary anyway,but if the brakes don't feel right when the car is driven and if you can't sort it out,then get them looked at asap.Brakes are life savers and are to be treated with great care.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Lagdti, in answer to your questions.

Were there any wear ridges on the outside of the discs?.
Yes the discs do have a ridge in them (about 1mm)...

This would cause a similar problem as the one your experiencing,especially if the rear discs are worn.Once the pad wears to the shape of the discs the pedal will return to normal......

It is possible that you have damaged the seals in the master cylinder,but this is unusual.Did you remove the reservoir top when you changed the pads?
Yes I took the reservior top off to allow for the fluid rising as the cylinders were compressed back...

Also,the rear caliper pistons have grooves in them which should line up with nibs in the pads.If these aren't lined up properly,it can cause a similar thing to happen.
Not 100% sure about this, so will have to check....;)

One thing to try is to clamp off the rear brake hoses and try the pedal then.If the pedal is firm(with the engine running),then you know the problem is with the rears.Obviously,if the pedal doesn't improve,then try the fronts.Obviously,don't drive it whilst you've the hoses clamped off!.
This sounds like a good option, will give that a try too.:cool:

The pedal will gradually sink slowly with the engine started and with pressure on the pedal whilst stationary anyway,but if the brakes don't feel right when the car is driven and if you can't sort it out,then get them looked at asap.Brakes are life savers and are to be treated with great care.:)
totally agree, I wont be taking a risk.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Nice one John.:)

I always feel uncomfortable saying about how important brakes are as it makes me sound like I'm preaching!.I obviously don't know you or anyone on the forum and I also don't know how confident anyone on here is with a set of spanners,so it's something I have to say to cover myself and the forum in the general.

The last thing I want is for either me or the forum to be partly responsible for someone being hurt by the advice we give,so thank-you for taking it in the spirit it was intended.:)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts