Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys after rebuild on f4r700 2.016v it runs sweet for 2mins then inlet cam oil seal leaked so i stripped it bck to oil seal and it looked like the phaser pulley had squashed the inner ring of seal so i got another set as renault only sells them in kits at £40 a go put new one on put it all bck together ran fine for 2mins then leaked again took pulley of and the new seal was squashed it seems like the seal is to thick but these are wat renault supplied me "twice" the seal will only push in so far to its housing:confused: i can only think that renault are supplying wrong seals? any additional info would be great thanks hope to resolve this soon

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
You're fitting the wrong seal,it is only available from Renault and the kit is good value as it contains a new cap,both seals and a new bolt.You need to make sure the kit is for the VVT model,the non-VVT seals are different.

We went through this exact scenario on a Scenic with an F4R VVT engine where someone had fitted the aftermarket seal and it was leaking like a sieve,our motor factor kept sending out the wrong seal to replace it with and even Payen couldn't match one,so we went to Renault,bought the kit and all is now well.:)

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Just a thought,but are you fitting the wrong seal from the kit?.

You get an exhaust cam seal and an inlet cam seal,when you fit the inlet cam seal there is a gap between the inner lip of the seal and cam,when you fit the dephaser the gap is taken up as the lip seasl against the dephaser and not the camshaft.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate thanx for reply i did have the kit twice from renault in worc it had brown and black sealin kit . The brown one was way to big prob 3 mm all round shaft and it had hexagon key cap seal and and nut for phaser pully, oops so it is the brown one for inlet that looked to big. I didnt realise phaser pully closed the gap and sealed it. Ive looked on back of pulley and now can see how it seals what a numpty i am thanks mate very much respect to you for your input i did ask renault but they wasnt very helpfull bring in they say. I cant afford there labour so im still up in saveing money mate thanks again buddy order another kit it is then laters

G

·
Ive looked on back of pulley and now can see how it seals what a numpty
Yes thats right the the inlet cam shaft seal on VVT engines seals on the dephaser pulley not the cam shaft.

The head gasket sets I've bought usually come with 2 inlet cam shaft seals as non VVT engines use the same size seal for both inlet and exhaust cam shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.