Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anybody got a quick fix for squeaky brakes. as in they screach or make a high pitched noise when you press them? thanks :d

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi tsunami

Not a quick fix but best way to stop brakes sqeaking is to dismantle,clean the dust away and rebuild with some brake grease (i have read copper grease should not be used) between the piston and brake pad.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,take the front brakes apart and check/clean them.Grease the backs of the pads with the correct product,as Glenda quite rightly says,copper grease should not be used!.:)

You might find that the reason they sqeak is for the fact that are wearing thin,but normally it's just a build up of dust or the pad backs are dry.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Glenda quite rightly says,copper grease should not be used!.
Hi guys, not done brakes for a long time .... whats the prob with coppaslip? always worked in the past with no problems, is it that modern brakes heat up much more and cause the grease to slip/melt?

:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
From memory the reason is that if copper grease gets on to the pad or disc face,it doesn't burn off and can cause obvious problems.Pad and disc manufacturers instantly void any warranty offered for their products if copper grease is used........

·
2,311 Posts
Cheers for that lagdti ... you live and learn :)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi all

Can only agree with lag...since it was in a previous post i read it..going to chuck my tube of copper grease i've had for years
and buy some proper stuff.

·
2,311 Posts
Hi all

Can only agree with lag...since it was in a previous post i read it..going to chuck my tube of copper grease i've had for years
and buy some proper stuff.

I'd hang onto it Glenda ... keep it for the threads that are in high corrosion areas that might sieze, you never know when you may want to take then apart in the future :)

Also bearing in mind this discussion a smear on the mating surfaces of alloy wheels stops them sticking to the hubs .... or is there a better solution for that as well ?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Perhaps someone can tell me why Slaters of Abergele Renault Main dealers still use copper grease?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts