Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, I need your thoughts on this one...

If I have a cold engine and I reach 2000 rpm in any gear,my car starts making a really awful squealing noise. As soon as I drop the clutch the noise stops. This will keep occuring unti lthe engine is hot. I have an electric fan (thus eliminating a loose belt) so am kind of puzzled as to what it could be.

With the noise stopping when the clutch is disenganged, do you think it could possibly be a clutch plate?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thnx

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I don't think its ever a problem with the coolant fan that makes the belt's start squealing like a pig, I'd guess it's more likely to be the load from the alternator which is also driven by a belt.

You say this happens when the engine is cold I assume therefore just after starting when the alternator and the drive belt is under the most load. Ages ago to prove this theory I squirted WD 40 on the belt that drives the alternator instantly the squealing noise stopped, that wasnt a long term cure I had to change the drive belt in the end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi. The noise could be coming from the crankshaft pulley,I have changed several of these for that same noise.The pulley has two parts , an inner and outer part which are joined by a rubber section to act as a damper.When the rubber wears the inner and outer parts are allowed to slip when the pulley is put under load.As the engine warms up the rubber expands causing the two parts to lock up and no more squealing.It may be worth trying to get hold of a second hand pulley to try on there first before buying a new one.Hope this helps

Ex renault technican.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

you post makes a lot of sense so will definately check it out and let you know how i get on. Just wanted to say thanks for your response.

All the best :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It still could be an auxillary belt problem,but if the noise dissapears when the clutch is engaged,then you have to suspect the clutch release bearing or something inside the gearbox.

The first thing to do is to check the gearbox oil level.Details on this are given elsewhere on the forum,so if you have a search you should be able to find them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That should be pulley or belt related.
It'd be best to replace pulleys and belt as soon as possible.
By the way, waht pulleys do you use, I hear SNR are better than the rest?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts