Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Today when my clio bonnet catch was looked at they noted a squealing noise, which i think they said was the alternator belt (sound right??- i'm not technically minded at all!). I too have noticed this faintish squealing noise, not very loud but noticable when the engine's running.

Can anyone give me more info on how it works and why it would be doing this? And what should i get done about it? The car was serviced less then 1000miles ago, the 72000 mile service (although i can't be certain what was done as it was before i owned it and it wasn't at a renault garage so there's no record).

Thanks so much in advance- sorry for being so clueless!

Rachel

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The squealing noise could be the belt itself,or a pulley bearing.The thing to do is have the belt removed and run the engine for a short time.If the noise dissapears,then the problem can be traced to the belt or a pulley for sure.

Make sure your car had it's cambelt changed at the 72k service.The alternator belt would have been removed as part of the cambelt change,and Renault recommend changing the alternator belt(more commonly known as the auxillary belt) at the same time.

To add,I'd have the problem looked at asap,as if the auxillary belt breaks it can become wrapped aroung the cambelt causing catastrophic engine damage.Sorry to be the profit of impending doom,but if you get it looked at now,it could save you a lot of money and hassle.:)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot lagdti, i'll definitely get it looked at then, although guess it'll be Monday or Tuesday at the earliest now. Until then i'll just drive around in a paranoid state with images of my engine exploding on me (yes i'm very paranoid cos the car is a new purchase and i'll never ever have that much money to blow on a car again!).

Re the cambelt issue i was aware of this and am actually in a bit of a predicament. the car has done just over 84000 miles so should have had the cambelt done.according to the service book it was serviced at 84000 miles (the 72000 mile service but very overdue).in theory the cambelt should have been done then.however i don't have the invoice and the service book has no details, just stamped and no computer record as it wasn't a main dealer.i phoned the garage who did that service but they have no computer records either and tried to see if they could remember but no joy. on the encouraging side, when i told him the model he immediately checked and said it should have been done at 72000 miles, leading me to thin kthey're aware of dealer service plans and so PROBABLY would have done it.

But it's the probably that's the problem.do i assume it was done and take the chance?or get an expensive job done that may well have been done less then 1000miles ago?i did consider waiting to get the logbook through and writing to the former owner and asking but i'm scared of the wait if it actually hadn't been done.also could the aux belt being changed at the service have anything to do with this squeal (ie if it was tightened too much or something??)i don't suppose a garage would be able to tell if the cambelt had been done..i'm pretty sure the answer's no on that one!

sorry for that long long post!

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
You shouldn't play around with this!

If the car was not serviced at 72000, the proper interval, it is very unlikely the cambelt was done.

I think also your cambelt should be renewed every 5 years, it is on mine.

It is best to get both belts done now, the cost of repairs if the cambelt goes are very expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Davesss, sounds like i've gotta be careful then.i've been thinking long and hard on the matter cos obviously i do not want to destroy my engine!however, it was bought with a 6month guarantee on the engine and gearbox, so if the cambelt were to snap now i'd get it repaired/my money back.

so what i'm thinking is get the aux belt sorted asap, leave the cambelt for now and when i get the new logbook try and contact the previous owner to see if it's been done or not.i should know within the guarantee time whether it was done and get it done if not.

i'm worried about the aux belt though.i'm on work placement all week so can't really be without the car.tis a bit of a dilemma :(.and doubt i'd get a courtesy car being under 21.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts