Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stalk had burnt out so I needed a replacement so I fitted another and everything worked after that accept for the horn so after having everything checked and nothing showing up, I thought there might be something fault with the new part, so I sourced another stalk and fitted this, and I***8217;ve come out with the same problem apart from the horn now works and the screen wash doesn***8217;t, Can anyone help me to get around this problem as my mot is due in a months time. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,683 Posts
Hi

would help if you told us what car you have this issue with ?

please fill in the ' whats in my garage' section of the registration form you completed when joining these forums.

Diolch

Al

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought a brand new complete matching set and its still doing the same thing and I've been told by three different garages that part numbers wont cause it to be doing this, Its been on a diagnostics test and that's not showing anything either so Im really stuck on what to have done with it.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Are all the replacements you talking about original Renault spares or aftermarket copies?

Surely since the replacements all have different reactions there is no consistency in quality/suitability despite what your 3 different garages have to say on the subject.

What is the exact part number on the original that presumably was working (ALL the correct functions) in the past?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes original renault spares, they've come from matching cars year and model, etc. I've tried changing the whole complete unit as well as the scrub! They've just said they can't understand why its not working as everything looks fine and tests have come back with nothing showing like its faulty.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
ALL of them NEW spares .................................. or 2nd hand replacements from other vehicles?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I needed a replacement so I fitted another and everything worked after that accept for the horn
something fault with the new part, so I sourced another stalk and fitted this, and I***8217;ve come out with the same problem apart from the horn now works and the screen wash doesn***8217;t
I've brought a pair of brand new ones, and I've tried at least 5 other 2nd hand ones.
So what is the current status then?.................:confused:

Which stalk assembly have you got fitted from the ones above? ......................... I would say you need #1 since you said all functions on the stalk was working and sort the horn as a separate issue completely.
What is the part number of the #1 unit ( was this a new unit?) and are ALL the 6(?) other units you tried also the exact same part number.

I am struggling to find the logic in this whole process since the horn has nothing to do with the stalk imo

Lets start again.

You said "my stalk had burned out" ........................

The whole stalk couldn't possibly have "burned out". What EXACTLY made you say its burned out? - which activity/function controlled by the stalk stopped working?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,821 Posts
Part numbers ? Not different ?
Lets start again, whats the stalk control ( Original stalk here )

Was any wiring replaced/repaired?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a common fault on the mk3 clio's for the wiper stalk to burn out inside the unit.
Check this link out:

the horn must have something do with the stalk as the current stalk fitted to car has the horn working and the screenwash doesn't work, now if i swap the stalk over with a replacement one i have spare then the screenwash works and the horn doesn't work.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,821 Posts
Have changed a few of these,,
Not asking that Chris..

Part numbers ARE different as each car could have different things fitted, auto lights no auto lights ..
Cornering lights , no cornering lights..
Cruise control , no cruise control..
So what did your stalk actually do, have you changed both,, or just one side?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes there a matching pair for the car i brought brand new ones for the car even from the dealership which cost me bomb and i still had the same issue. No replaced wiring has been done as ive had it all looked at and thats fine.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Its a common fault on the mk3 clio's for the wiper stalk to burn out inside the unit.
Check this link out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfsuUEf1MRI

the horn must have something do with the stalk as the current stalk fitted to car has the horn working and the screenwash doesn't work, now if i swap the stalk over with a replacement one i have spare then the screenwash works and the horn doesn't work.
Is there a reason why you dont want to give the actual part numbers you are talking about here?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes because it doesn't make a difference to the car what part number is fitted, like i said earlier ive even been to renault themselves and had a complete new matching set fitted and it was still doing the same thing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts