Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks in advance for any input.
I purchased a 2017 Clio Dynamique Nav 1.2 yesterday, with only 5,000 miles on the clock.
I noticed driving on the motorway earlier that the RPM at 70mph were around 3500. I'm just wondering if that's standard for this car and engine size.
It seems very high to me but that may be because for the past 13 years I've been driving a PD 2 litre SEAT Leon with 6 gears (which would hover around 2000 RPM at 70mph).
Thanks once again for any input.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,224 Posts
Depends on gearing ratios and what gear you are in I think..why are you concerned about this..cars are designed differently you know..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Phil.
I was driving in 5th gear.
Obviously I understand a 1.2 engine on a car with 5 gears will be different from a 2.0 engine on a car with 6 gears. It just seemed to me that 3500RPM was high, hence the question.
Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,814 Posts
Not a Clio driver but doesn't seem too far adrift to me.
My 1.6 Qashqai runs about 3K at 70mph in 5th
Which seems very high compared to my old Scenic and my Kia.
But both of them were/are diesels so lower revs generally.
My old Rover SDI V8 would have been over the ton at 3.5K in fifth BTW, If memory serves that was just over 30mph per 1000rpm.

Somewhere on here there is a thread on similar, I think a Clio 1.2, search may find something?
Found it but was a Twingo, 999cc.
May give you some clues though

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
I have Clio Mk III, 1.2 petrol, 2010, yep, 3,500 at 70 mph in 5th. Bit of a power step at 3,000, ideally need to be above that e.g. for when a hill comes up. Gutless below 2,000, don't go there. :)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Yeah, that's right - keep revs below 3000-3500 and you'll get great mpg, but you need to be above that to get a bit of 'oomph'!!

It's a good little engine though, I'm on my fourth 1.2 litre Clio (marks 2, 3 and 4), and they've been great cars for both day to day driving and longer 'road trips'...…...that engine is being phased out now though (shame), so that leaves the (troublesome?) 900cc engine for petrol cars, a diesel (yuck!) or by the time I replace my current car, will it be electric??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts