Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have an intermitant starting issue on my laguna 1.9tdi. the starter motor won't engage, but you can hear the starter running and sometimes hear the teeth crashing. if the car is rocked in gear so the engine turn slightly it normally is fine, this lasts to either next time it starts or weeks. it started about 2 months after i had it, took it back to the garage and they said they changed the starter motor to fix the issue. 1 month later and out of warrenty it has started again. to me i would say the flywheel gear teeth have gone in one place or the garage lied. as the starter is the pre-engage type i find it stange the teeth should go. before i take it to a garage and get the flywheel change (no doubt costing £500+) am i correct in my assumption or is it simple like the earth strap?

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Only by inspecting the teeth on the starter gear ring will you know if it's a ring gear problem.

Was the replacement starter new or second hand or was it repaired?

I take it you have checked the exciter wire on the starter solenoid and also the engine earth strap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i assumed the motor was a second hand one. i will check the wiring, a quick rock 6 inches forwards in gear and the issue has gone - so could be the earth strap connection?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
This reminds me of that AA advert from the 80's with the 2 old lady's.
"Dodgey Soliniod !"..... yes i think you do.

On a serious note. The flywheel teeth are hardened, and the Starter motor wheel will wear out before the flywheel teeth do.

Whatever the problem is, the Starter motor needs to come off anyway.
1, to Clean / repair the solinoid. or Replace it.
2, to Inspect the Flywheel teeth through the opening.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
I don't wish to cast aspersions but do you trust the garage to have actually changed the motor- did you get the old one back?
If it's the same fault it does sound like a faulty solenoid sticking in mesh. If it continues to spin after sticking something must have broken inside.
If the replacement was fairly recent I'd say take it back and tell them to put a new one in at their expense, unless you agreed to a used one going in.
Or DIY if you're handy and very even-tempered- it's not a pleasant job on a Laguna but I got a new one for £50 off ebay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts