Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i own a 2006 renault grand scenic 1.6 dynamique. from a cold start on a morning there is a sort of bang noise then a rattle for a few seconds. i asked a mechanic friend and he advised it was more than likely the spring in the starter motor broke. with his advice i took it to the garage i bought it from, they said it was not that but the dephaser pulley at fault. the starter motor is covered by warranty but the dephaser is not. i am doubting there inspection as it is a long and expensive job. could anyone please give me some advice as im not clued up to be truthull, many thanks adie bridlington.:(:mad::confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The symtoms you describe could well be a faulty dephaser. A close listen during a cold start-up should reveal the source of the noise. The noise of a fault dephaser will come form the top of the engine whereas a starter motor problem will be much lower down.

Faulty starter motors tend to give trouble at any engine start whereas faulty dephasers tend to begin to give trouble during cold starts only.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank u for your input and prompt reply i shall listen for where the sound seems to come from. should the dephaser be covered by my warranty or is it normal procedure for it to be exempt? many many thanks adie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts