Independent Renault Forums banner

steel seal

Tags
seal steel
4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  madnoel10 
#1 ·
hi there,on checking internet for blown head gaskets ive noticed an item called steel seal,does anyone know if this works and is it advicable to use something like this..cheers

#4 ·
Hi cdphillip, personally I'd give it a miss, you need to find out the cause and fix it properly, skimmed head, new gaskets etc, otherwise your just saving up problems .... , its a bit like filing a hole with filler instead of fixing it ... the hole will just come back worse than ever, and your back to square one!

Just my opinion, but I hope it helps :)

#7 ·
In my opinion all the so-called coolant leak additives are a complete waste of time,unless your looking to sell the car on soon.The ones I have used have stopped the leak,but have also blocked the radiator,heater matrix and some small pipes,so unless the customer specifically asks us to do it,we don't use the products.In the long term,they cause more problems than they solve.:crazy:

Just my opinion,though.:)

#8 ·
Coolant repair additives

At £25 it maybe should be called "Steal Seal" - so called leak sealers are at best a get you home fix and will only lead to further serious problems in the future. On many modern cars where the coolant system is not only used to cool the engine but other components (oil, fuel, turbos, gearboxes, etc) - it can lead to very costly repairs indeed. Whenever I go to look at a car which I maybe thinking of buying and I see or smell additives around the cooling system - I just walk away - no point in buying someone elses trouble. I would rather see what the leak was so I could estimate likely repair costs, etc. It's like I keep saying "buy cheap and you'll end up paying twice":)

#9 ·
No It does not! I bought a bottle to repair HG on my Neon, all parameter correct as per makers instructions, mixed with a good anti freeze, drained the engine and added. Engine has to idle to come up to temperature to work. After 10 mins engine stopped! Now as well as HG I need new conrod & piston. Mechanic working on the car now said the stuff had been drawn into the piston then could not be pushed out through the valves. Something had to give. Do Not use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.