Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Another month and another problem with my 2008 Megane 1.5 DCI.

Car had been driving fine up until the other week, I parked it up, came back a few hours later and was greeted with a 'Steering fault' message on the instrument cluster with super heavy steering when I tried to drive the car out of the parking space. I had to get the car recovered and taken home.

I understand the power steering is electric, I've just checked the fuse box in the engine bay and the fuses look OK.

I do have a cheap code reader but no faults are shown.

Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone repaired the fault without ripping out the steering column? If you did replace the steering column, did you buy refurbished or 2nd hand?

Cheers
J

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,327 Posts
You could try disconnecting the battery, opening the plug to the steering and cleaning the contacts with proper contact cleaner. There may also be a separate black earth wire. That might be worth a look as well.
Check your battery voltage and state of charge. If it's low the extra demand at startup could panic the steering monitoring and throw a fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Brendan.

I checked the connectors and they looked OK but who knows, there could be a broken wire somewhere. I'm going on the assumption that the steering column has failed.

Earlier, I removed the column and it only took a few hours with the help of Youtube.

I was going to buy a 2nd hand unit from ebay but from what I've read online, these columns are doomed to fail. So I think I'm going to get the column tested and repaired if necessary.

Can anyone recommend a company that tests / refurbs these columuns?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news. I managed to replace the electric steering column (used part from Ebay) and it cured my steering fault. My cheap code reader didn't detect the fault, I didn't want to spend over £200 on a new / refurbished part so took a £35 gamble and thankfully paid off.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,327 Posts
Hang on to the old one for a bit. More often than is reasonable taking things apart and putting back together 'fixes' things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts