Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He lads

A few problems with my 2003 1.4 Megane today.
Tried to start this morning but "electronic fault" message was displayed and would not start. Checked the battery and it was flat, so I jump started. Checked the charging voltage and was happy with the 14V.

As the car was running all sorts of crazy things started to happen, the temperature gauge stopped working, the rev counter stopped working, the wipers started even though they were switched off, the steering was stiff, the airbag light flashed a few times and the cooling fan was cutting in and out every few seconds.

Stopped the car to check fuses connection etc and found that the fuse board located beside the battery had water ingress with a few corroded connections. I removed the board, dried it and cleaned the connection as best I could.
When I reinstalled it the car started no problem and I took it for a test drive with no issue.
However when I stopped the car and tried to start it again I got a "steering not locked " message, and now the car won t start at all.

Can anyone help, I'm pulling my hair out here.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi there i have just had this problem on my 2004 Renault megane and it was the steering lock reset unit which is under the steering wheel you need to replace this as then the car will be fine.

if you could let me no more info on your car i will try get you a price for one and you can fit it your self it is a about a hour job

thanks
ross

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had / have the same problem. I was getting the steering not locked error with the airbags/service light on, but this was intermittent. As I was going for a meal, my car decided to pack in and glide to a halt with Electronic error message.

I called Green Flag to come out and rescue me. Whilst waiting I searched the forum for Electronic Failure on my phone and it mentioned that on top of the battery on the positive terminal, there is a box with 3 fuses. Two 30amp and one big fuse running between them. Once Green Flag turned up I mentioned what I had found and sure enough it was one of the 30amp fuses that had gone. A temp fix was done and I was on my way again.

When I managed to get a battery fuses everything was fine. Then the other day I put my charger into the cig lighter and I now have the airbag service light on again. May not be related but just coincidence. Once it stops raining I will get out and have a look. In the mean time I have ordered a full set of fuses and a new terminal cover as this was missing for the sum of £15 from a Renault dealer.

·
I own a ford thank god ;-)
153 Posts
Please what was the temp fix on the fuses

I had / have the same problem. I was getting the steering not locked error with the airbags/service light on, but this was intermittent. As I was going for a meal, my car decided to pack in and glide to a halt with Electronic error message.

I called Green Flag to come out and rescue me. Whilst waiting I searched the forum for Electronic Failure on my phone and it mentioned that on top of the battery on the positive terminal, there is a box with 3 fuses. Two 30amp and one big fuse running between them. Once Green Flag turned up I mentioned what I had found and sure enough it was one of the 30amp fuses that had gone. A temp fix was done and I was on my way again.

When I managed to get a battery fuses everything was fine. Then the other day I put my charger into the cig lighter and I now have the airbag service light on again. May not be related but just coincidence. Once it stops raining I will get out and have a look. In the mean time I have ordered a full set of fuses and a new terminal cover as this was missing for the sum of £15 from a Renault dealer.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,060 Posts
I'm guessing the temp fix was just to bridge the battery fuse with a piece of wire or something, maybe even a different fuse until the correct fuse could be bought as I believe they aren't a standard size / shape fuse.

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I have the same problem. I have checked the battery fuses and the one for the steering lock in the engine bay next to the battery.
I have removed the steering lock assembly but the car will still not start. I have tried disconnecting the connector to the lock and that makes no difference.
When I push the start button there is no click or anything from the steering lock.
If I replace the steering lock does it have to be programmed to the car and is it likely to fix it or am I looking at another solution

·
153 Posts
If you replace it you will need a virgin one or new one
Don't get a used one it will not work

If you get a virgin one like in my link it will program it's self once you force the ignition on

Can you force the ignition on ?

Will it work! I'll be feked if I know mate depends weather there is another electrical problem

I had a second problem so it didn't fix mine well it did but it feked up again

Sorry not much help

·
153 Posts
That's where I got mine it will come locked
And with a note send you old one back once you get it running and you will get a £30 refund

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you say locked you mean uncoded. If it's locked I won't be able to fit it will I.
I was going to ask if they would give something for the old one. I didn't want to buy the exchange one as it meant sending my one before they send one back. My car would have been in Tescos car park for over a week then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry I don't understand.
Surely the lock has to come unlocked for me to be able to fit the bolt through it to fit it. Do you mean that it comes with the bolt and I have to hang it on the loom until it unlocks and then fit it?

·
153 Posts
I mean exactly what I say it comes locked not coded

You will need to plug it in as the lock bolt is out
Force the ignition on this will unlock it and code it
Then fit the unit don't over tighten the screw/bolt they snap easy to prevent it being tampered with

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got it yesterday and fitted it last night. I had to hang the new one on the loom start the car and then with the engine running fit the lock and put back the trim.
I had a hafords jump starter connected when I started it as I had heard that If your battery is not fully charged there could be a problem with the steering lock picking up the code from the ecu.
Hope yours works
Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts