Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rack and/or pipery on the Megane has sprung a leak :(

It's hard to see exactly where the leak is, but fluid is dripping from the bottom of the pinion housing - though I can't tell if it's coming from a loose union or the pinion seal. Access is a bit tight in there....

Is rack removal one of those things to leave to a garage, or can it be DIY-ed? Working on it five feet in the air on a four-post ramp might be a bit more convenient than on my back....

Also, it seems that either TRW or SMI racks were fitted to this vehicle - mine has a TRW. Can either rack be fitted as a replacement, or are the pipe connections different?

Cheers,
David

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Don't quote me on this as i've never done a steering rack on a megane but from my experiences with fords, VW's and Hondas you may well need to drop or remove the subframe to gain enough access. This could also mean removing the exhaust to remove the subframe. I suppose it could be done on the floor. I've never tried a complex steering rack however i have done less complex jobs on the floor where the subframe can be left in or just dropped.

Hope this helps abit.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, Oggie - well, a clutch change on the Megane is supposed to involve dropping the subframe, so this might be similar. However, many have done a clutch change without touching the subframe, so the same may go for the rack.

I've had the car up on blocks, and it looks a real b*tch of a job just getting to the pipe unions on the rack :mad: Things are often made worse by the LHD-to-RHD 'conversion' - so what was accessible on French models suddenly becomes hidden for 'our' version.

I'll have another look tomorrow when I'm in a better mood :cool:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You'll have to at least drop the back of the subframe to get the rack out I'm afraid,it can turn out to be a real PITA depending on how things come apart.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll have to at least drop the back of the subframe to get the rack out I'm afraid,it can turn out to be a real PITA depending on how things come apart.
Oh, that's right, Lagdti - go right ahead and depress me further :d

I'll go and get another beer...... :eek:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry.....uhm.....I'm trying to find a bright side to look on to........as soon as I find one I'll get back to you.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts