Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Renault Laguna 1996.

All of a sudden today the steering went very stiff.

When I went back to drive the car 10 minutes ago everything was back to normal.

It has power steering.

Any suggestions as to why it went stiff for a short period?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be that your power steering fluid may be running low
No I checked that and it's fine.

The funny thing is it is back to normal now. It was a period of about 20 mins were it went very stiff.

It's made me a bit paranoid about driving it, especially with kids in the back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a 2000 Laguna 1.6 16v RXE and have recently had problems with the steering. I have replaced both coil springs and track rod ends which has improved things but it still feels very heavy. Mechanic says there is usually a noise when the power steering pump goes but that seems to be ok. Any one got any ideas what it might be? Should I try replacing the power steering pump anyway?:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have a 2000 Laguna 1.6 16v RXT and have recently had problems with the steering. I have replaced both coil springs and track rod ends which has improved things but it still feels very heavy. Mechanic says there is usually a noise when the power steering pump goes but that seems to be ok. Any one got any ideas what it might be? Should I try replacing the power steering pump anyway?:confused:
I have now noticed a slight squealing noise appears after you turn the wheel on full lock when sitting parked. Think I will go ahead and replace the pump and see if that does it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I did find the problem with the steering, it was the ceramic seals in the rack that had gone.

I had to have a recon rack fitted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts