Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,
the dreaded mot was booked for friday for the focus but due to the amount of oil being consumed and the smell of raw petrol i have traded the car in against a mondeo st tdci 2.2
I managed to get £750 for the focus which to me is good - bearing in mind it needs and mot, 2 tyres soon, has been scratched down the length of the passenger side and the clutch is slipping.. oh and its a 2001 model
the new car is mine on friday, its getting 4 new tyres, some bits of bumper trim sorted and the jacking point covers need attention on the front - one is missing and the other is hanging off.
the alloy centre caps are a right old mess - quite corroded but i couldn't get the garage to budge on replacing these so i will do so myself. after trade in and some slight haggling i got the car down to about £7200 which seems about right as its only got 31k on the clock
the last and possibly only owner fitted a parrot 3200? handsfree kit so that could be useful, its also got front and rear parking sensors - one on the front needs attention (as you can see in pic just to the side of the number plate)

here are a couple of pics, will post some more up on friday

cheers
stef

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,230 Posts
Looks good Stef!! Your health to drive.... when you finally get it! :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
:cool: Looking good Stef:d i like it....allot,my sister has the Focus version of that although its not the 155bhp 2.2 but it can go for a diesel:cool:

Cheers Don

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys:)

I didn't want a black car again, but when i went to look at the car i really liked it and the little bits of chrome here and there go well with the black i think.

can parking sensors be painted? if possible i would like to paint them the same colour as the car...

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Yup, most after market sensors come as a 'paint yourself' job so it won't interfere with any signal. Don't see why it would be any different with factory fitted sensors :)

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, most after market sensors come as a 'paint yourself' job so it won't interfere with any signal. Don't see why it would be any different with factory fitted sensors :)
i dont think they are factory fitted sensors to be honest, there is a little switch beside the gear knob that doesnt look very ford..
the parking sensor on the front next to the number plate is the worst, all the paint/coating has come off it leaving a nasty corroded aluminium type finish.

cheers
stef

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
ooohhh... lovely car stef. Watch those injectors though.... they sometimes need replacing / re-coding which can be expensive.

I'm so Jealous as I'd love an ST. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure you sand 'em down to get a good key for the primer and paint :)
hopefully it wont be me who paints them - my mates dad has a bodyshop so hopefully i can get a good price from him? will need to enquire about that

ooohhh... lovely car stef. Watch those injectors though.... they sometimes need replacing / re-coding which can be expensive.

I'm so Jealous as I'd love an ST. :eek:
shhhh Dave:rofl:

I know the injectors and egr valve are common problems on these engines and mk3 mondys also suffer from rear subframe bushes i believe? so... im going to take out a warranty with 'warrantywise' - which has quentin wilsons name all over it. they have no short list of parts covered, and any repair up to the value of the car (inclusive of any other warranty claims) and also have a wear and tear policy
so all in it seems a good deal and at £1300? to replace and code a set of injectors...i think its well worth having

cheers
stef

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
How much ! bloody hell. I knew there was a good reason why I stayed away from the TDCi engine. Apart from the injectors and the EGR valves (I dont think they are as much as issue as with Renaults from what I've read) its a great engine I beleive.

Subframe bushes are as you said also a problem but are so on most makes these days, also watch out for DMF failure its pretty common on the TDCi engines and not cheap to fix either. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much ! bloody hell. I knew there was a good reason why I stayed away from the TDCi engine. Apart from the injectors and the EGR valves (I dont think they are as much as issue as with Renaults from what I've read) its a great engine I beleive.

Subframe bushes are as you said also a problem but are so on most makes these days, also watch out for DMF failure its pretty common on the TDCi engines and not cheap to fix either. :rolleyes:
according to the warranty the cover all mechanical and electrical parts. so...diesel injectors, egr valve, turbo etc should all be covered - they say there is no short list anyway. DMF should also come under that too?..

from what ive read its a very powerful engine, not yet had the chance to give it some good welly but it does shift very nicely in 3rd and 4th

i wish friday would hurry up:rofl:

fingers crossed they have sorted out all the bits i picked up on or i wont be a very happy person

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Oh they do shift mate. ;)

You may be lucky and get the warranty to pay for a DMF, but most weasle out of it like mine did, "oooh wear and tear mate" is what I got from my warranty company (warranty works - not with them anymore)... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you cant wait for Friday. I love the "getting a new car feeling".

Oh whilst I think about this forum www.talkford.com is a good resource for us Mondeo owners. They have a wiki page which is/was invaluablefor me. I've found out how to do many a thing from that wiki. The link to it is below.

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Category:Mondeo_Mk3

Hope thats of help to you. ;) :d

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh they do shift mate. ;)

You may be lucky and get the warranty to pay for a DMF, but most weasle out of it like mine did, "oooh wear and tear mate" is what I got from my warranty company (warranty works - not with them anymore)... :rolleyes:

Sounds like you cant wait for Friday. I love the "getting a new car feeling".

Oh whilst I think about this forum www.talkford.com is a good resource for us Mondeo owners. They have a wiki page which is/was invaluablefor me. I've found out how to do many a thing from that wiki. The link to it is below.

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Category:Mondeo_Mk3

Hope thats of help to you. ;) :d
let me try again..

i was worried about the wear and tear excuse but i will take out the extra that covers 'wear and tear' (after the first month)

i will check that site out, ive also been reading up on st drivers? something like that..

your right, i cant wait till friday - lowest mileage and newest car ive ever had...not to forget the biggest and most powerful:devil:

the new car 'sensation' is great:d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Nice car Stef.

Parking sensors can be painted, but too thick a coat will affect the signal (Jaguar had a recall on that a few years back when I worked for Ford).

I've refurbished that style of wheel, and the centre caps can be cleaned up with a bit of sandpaper/emery paper (I used a D/A sander & a lot of care), then (wee trick here for you), for priming & painting - use a large tin can (upside down) to keep the blue FORD area clear of overspray...:d

Follow up with some clear lacquer - and you're sorted.

Best of luck with it.

Paul

Reactions: stef123

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice car Stef.

Parking sensors can be painted, but too thick a coat will affect the signal (Jaguar had a recall on that a few years back when I worked for Ford).

I've refurbished that style of wheel, and the centre caps can be cleaned up with a bit of sandpaper/emery paper (I used a D/A sander & a lot of care), then (wee trick here for you), for priming & painting - use a large tin can (upside down) to keep the blue FORD area clear of overspray...:d

Follow up with some clear lacquer - and you're sorted.

Best of luck with it.

Paul
nice one Paul! my only concern with refurbishing the caps is the edges are all very badly corroded and if i sand it down it probably wont be round any more:rofl:
I will see how they look again once ive got the car, maybe im thinking they are worse..

then again, if i get my mates dad to paint the parking sensors, maybe i can clean up the caps and have him fill? prime/paint them?

cheers for the good advice Paul :)
stef

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The caps get buckled because tyre fitters just lever them off - if they were just plastic, they would regain their shape, but since they are coated with aluminium, they adopt their new (non-circular) shape.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The caps get buckled because tyre fitters just lever them off - if they were just plastic, they would regain their shape, but since they are coated with aluminium, they adopt their new (non-circular) shape.

HTH

Paul
they did look buckled at certain points, i guess this is why then!

if you were doing the job of refurbing 4 centre caps, what would the likely cost be?
looking at the price new, it will be £60 for the 4

cheers
stef

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
It is a fiddly job with all the fake torx heads to clean out prior to painting.

I'd want to charge more, but doing it at 'mate's rates' I would say £30.

However, If you can get a new set for £30 more - that's the option I'd recommend, as I wasn't too happy with the results if you looked at them closely. They were fine when viewed 'on the car'.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a fiddly job with all the fake torx heads to clean out prior to painting.

I'd want to charge more, but doing it at 'mate's rates' I would say £30.

However, If you can get a new set for £30 more - that's the option I'd recommend, as I wasn't too happy with the results if you looked at them closely. They were fine when viewed 'on the car'.

Paul
If it saves the hassle and means i have 4 'perfect' centre caps then i will just go down that road for the extra £30.
Im keeping an eye on a set of 4 on ebay at the moment - they seem to be in very good condition.

cheers paul,
stef

1 - 20 of 113 Posts