Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:di have a 2004 traffic, 6 speed, 100bhp, ive noticed that when the engine is cold, it is stiff to get in to reverse, but when the engine is warm it goes in fine! also if i leave it in gear over night, it is fine when i start it up! the van has a full service history, and only 72000miles. i havent checked the gear oil level yet, could this be the cause? im pretty clueless with mechanics so any replies are appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
i dont think u need to check the oil level but the gearbox oil maybe could do with a change maybe its old and diirty turning it a bit hard therefor. hence why your experiancing problems only when engine is cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply pigeon! Since my thread I have had to ghange the gear linkage cables and have recently changed the gear oil, however the problem is still there, in fact it has made the gear change stiff and sticky feeling. The garage said they used the correct oil. It always goes in gear just a bit 'stickier' than usual. anyone who has had a similar problem please reply :mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for your reply pigeon! Since my thread I have had to ghange the gear linkage cables and have recently changed the gear oil, however the problem is still there, in fact it has made the gear change stiff and sticky feeling. The garage said they used the correct oil. It always goes in gear just a bit 'stickier' than usual. anyone who has had a similar problem please reply :mad:
iv not had the same problem but i have got a problem with my gear linkage and my gearbox needs to come out so i can replace the seal on my gear linkage as im leaking fluid from there and its so annoying hope you get you problem sorted keep us informed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
we have the same problem. try this.

Try this adjustment tip [from the SAVOC Forum...in Malaysia] - in case this is your problem.

OK! just now adjusting the free play, very easy task, takes me about 15 minutes only! first mark the original nut and bolt position, than twist the gear linkage to one side, tighten back the nut, play the gear, felt like 1st and 2nd no gear at all. go back loosen the nut, twist the gear linkage to another side, tighten back the nut, play the gear, felt like 5th gear difficult to engage but 1st and 2nd no problem. go back loosen the nut, twist the gear linkage little bit backward (between the first and second twist), tighten the nut, play the gear, all OK. than fully tighten the nut, drove the car, all confirmed ok!!!!!!!.
Confusion when shifting between 1st and 3rd also fully eliminated!!!!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...DSC02594-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
When I bought my Vectra years ago the gears were real stiff in the mornings - 1st and reverse particularly difficult. Sometimes lights would change green and you'd still be sitting there like a twit fumbling with the gears as the folks behind sounded off their horns!!

I went to the local dealership and said as much and they just shrugged, laughing, and saying something to the effect of "what do you expect!!".

The box has no drain on these, so I sucked the oil out with a suction pump I bought for the purpose. It had the standard 75W.... whatever was in it.

I replaced it with Comma AQ3 Dexron 3. It has better corrosion inhibitors in it than regular 'box oil, is thinner in the cold, and has friction modifiers that improve the functioning of the sychros.

In fact, I replaced it twice, then again the next spring to make sure it was cleaned out as well as practical, as it was a 'suck' operation rather than 'drain' (the original oil I had taken out was disgusting! - Sealed-for-life 'boxes...hah! bloomin' madness... :mad:).

Gear changes are now perfect, at any temp...

[...and before anyone suggests I shouldn't use Dexron 3 in a manual box, I say 'rubbish'. I've now run with that Dexron in it for the last 6 years and 80,000 miles. 'nuf said!...]

[And just to note further... I was discussing Vectra manual 'box oil with an indie garage a few years later and he said that Vauxhall/Opel had, subsequently, changed the box oil to another type that was, essentially, an ATF type.]

·
Registered
37 Posts
squirt wd40 onto the gearchange lever on top of gearbox. Then check oil level. Take undertray off, level plug is then visible on front of box. FILL TILL IT REACHES THIS LEVEL AND ALL SHOULD BE OK. tHE 2 NEEDLE BEARINGS ON THE GEARLEVER GET DRY WITH A LOW OIL LEVEL. aT CORRECT LEVEL THE OIL IS THROWN UP PROPERLY. GRSTOOLS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.