Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in purchasing a new Kangoo ( 1.6 auto). I took it for a test drive and I discovered that the braking distances felt longer than the Megan's. The brakes didn't seem to bite as hard as the Megan's. This is kind of scary and maybe even unsafe. Is this my imagination? Does anyone know about the two car's stopping distances?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I couldn't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is a difference in the braking distances, between the 2 cars.

There are many reasons which can account for this;
  1. The contact patch for the tyres - I would believe that the Megane has wider tyres = more grip.
  2. Deformation of the tyre's sidewall under load - again, lower profile tyres have stiffer sidewalls = more contact area on the road, and more precise control.
  3. Larger wheels, don't just look better, they usually cover larger diameter brake discs - again, bigger discs mean there is less chance of overheating under braking.
  4. Centre of gravity and suspension softness/travel will also mean that the car 'pitches' more under braking = front tyres & brakes have more of the work to do - the back brakes aren't really doing very much at all.
  5. The Megane may (depending on spec) have EBD, which gives a more effective braking effect - the Kangoo (based on a commercial vehicle), is unlikely to have this feature - many vans don't have car safety features, due to cost.
  6. The Kangoo (being an auto) also won't have the engine braking effect that a manual would (I don't know if the Megane you are comparing it with is an auto).
Its a bit like comparing a 'normal' car with an off roader - they aren't inherently dangerous, but need to be driven within their respective (and quite different) limits.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Paul:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts