Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a renault espace 1998 dt diesel 2.2 and this week just gave me problems in starting and switching off.. on the starting it gets me to try 3 times before it goes.. i'm sure it is not the heating since i just replaced it 4 months ago and it resolved it... the other thing is when switching it off after a 5 or more klms drive it would be ok starting it after 10 minutes would be fine but switching it off after that would leave the car running even removing the keys.. i thought that pressing the lock button on the key would switch it off but it doesn't several tries of inserting the key and rotating it to off would do it.. the mechanic where i brought it couldn't understand what's happening so he asked me to bring it to the renault service but before i bring it there can somebody who experienced it give me some advice.. thanks so much for any help you could give...

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sounds very like the ignition barrel to me has had its day me friend i hope this helps all the best Donald

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ignition barrel

Hi sounds very like the ignition barrel to me has had its day me friend i hope this helps all the best Donald
thanks for the advice but is the ignition barrel where i insert my key or something else.. sorry but i don't know many things about engines or car thank..

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
thanks for the advice but is the ignition barrel where i insert my key or something else.. sorry but i don't know many things about engines or car thank..
Yes that where you will insert the key to start i will stress this is a guess all the best Doanld.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hi alexiop, just to add to this one you drive a diesel and the engine stop is diff/ from a petrol system ie petrols have spark plugs when you turn off a petrol one you kill the spark to the plugs and it stops with a diesel there is a stop solinoid on the fuel pump before you go and get a new ignition switch have it checked out if you have a faulty solinoid or the electrical feed to it,it will cost a lot les to fix than an ignition barrel hope this is of some use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
solenoid

hi alexiop, just to add to this one you drive a diesel and the engine stop is diff/ from a petrol system ie petrols have spark plugs when you turn off a petrol one you kill the spark to the plugs and it stops with a diesel there is a stop solinoid on the fuel pump before you go and get a new ignition switch have it checked out if you have a faulty solinoid or the electrical feed to it,it will cost a lot les to fix than an ignition barrel hope this is of some use.

thanks racer will check the solenoid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts